New Year for Books--January Reading
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (79)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Happy New Year! How was your New Year's Eve?
Comments (25)Ours was utterly quiet, although not unpleasant :). Both kids were off doing their own NYE celebration so the house was nice and calm. We ate dinner, chatted, then he went to sleep early and I read for awhile. Boring? Maybe but also a moment to cherish being secure in our lives and with so much for which to be grateful. Actually, our New Year's reminds me of the lyrics to one of my favorite Carly Simon songs, Misfit: There are plenty of late nights If you want to stay up for them You'll just want to find yourself a friend And tie a couple on in a night spot Draw pictures of your soul, win the jackpot Pour tears in your beer It's hip to be miserable when you're young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit Come on home with me We'll turn on the TV About 10 o'clock we'll turn off the light Not every man was born to stay up late at night There are plenty of boats to catch If you notice all the sails in the wind But you better look hard my friend In case you catch a ride on the wrong one In the distance is the one you belong on Oh the water is wide It's hip to be miserable when you're young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit Come on home with me We'll sit under a tree And if you get the itch I'll supply the scratch Not every man was born with a boat to catch It's hip to be miserable when you are young and intellectual In a bit you'll admit you're a misfit A misfit...See MoreWhat will you book group be reading this year?
Comments (28)I just joined the book club about three years ago, and for the first two years I did not go on the trips due to conflicts with my own schedule. However, this year I will be going to Portland with the group - in fact I believe we are all going this year. I'm not yet sure which the associated book will be. Once we have found the book and the trip, we make a space in the reading schedule for it. I do know that we (they) have traveled all over the US. The first trip was to Savannah to meet the author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. There have been trips to Niagara Falls, Wyoming, Nashville, Key West, and Washington DC. Authors live everywhere! Rosefolly...See MoreReading Jane Eyre again after 30+ years
Comments (43)Rosefolly, I really agree with you on the assessments of the two men. Rochester is clearly the romantic and the passionate one. Rivers doesn't even have the passion on the pulpit. Jane comments on his sermans. Rochester is not blameless; he has his flaws. On one level he is a Byronic hero; on the other level he is desperately trying to salvage a small portion of happiness in this life. While it is understandable, it is certainly not morally right. He tells Jane, after the thwarted wedding attempt, that he should have come to her and told her the whole story. I would argue that he knew better. When he plays the gypsy, he tells her that he sees in her brow that she could and would live without happiness if self-respect required it. He knew her very well, indeed! Rivers, on the other hand, was cold. He demanded the "right" thing from her insisting that God wanted her to marry him. And he knew he had will to bend hers. He was working on it when Jane hears the voice in the night. Rivers is probably more reprehensible because his Christian beliefs were aligned with the Puritans, which left no room for happiness, love, passion, fun, etc. Just cold dedication. Jane knew she would die under such strong willed restrictions....See MoreA new year, what are you reading?
Comments (90)MsMeow, I understand about re-read books being old friends. I read the Nonsuch Lure myself some years ago. Perhaps I'll read it again soon. I looked up the author's other books, and none of them appealed to me in the way that one did. Speaking of books we really like, I believe I have just run across one of this year's favorite books. A year from now when we post our best books of the year, it is most unlikely that I will do any better at calling them up than I have in years past, so I'll tell you about it now. The book in question is News of the World by Paulette Giles. It is a jewel of a book, a short, beautifully written story with characters you instantly care about. A war-weary retired soldier is making a living in his final years by traveling around the wild west in 1870 by reading the news to the local people. They are isolated from the wider world, and not all of them literate. One day he agrees to the task of escorting a 10 year old girl who spent several years as a Kiowa captive back to her remaining relatives. The plot is exciting, but it is the thoughts and emotions of the man and the child that really engage the reader. I highly recommend it. I read it as a library book, but plan to buy a copy to keep for my own. I expect to re-read it someday. Rosefolly...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULARTo-Dos: Your January Home Checklist
Make your home (and yourself) healthier while you nestle in and get inspired for the coming year
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your January Home Checklist
It’s time to lighten up, cozy up and get organized as we head into a new year
Full Story
NORTHEAST GARDENINGNortheast Gardener's January Checklist
Feed the bees, support local garden clubs and have fun with natives to get your garden looking its best in 2013
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener's January Checklist
Winter-defying blooms and pruning saws earn a cheer, while California-focused gardening design books get a well-deserved shout-out
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSJanuary Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Need help beating the postholiday blues? Launch the new year with some tidying, safety steps and maybe birdseed, too
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEHow to Treat Your Home to a January Health Kick
Your house is an extension of you, so give it a reboot this month to ensure that it’s fit, happy and ready for the year ahead
Full Story
EVENTS12 Must-See Art and Design Events This January
Get out and get inspired! See what’s on the Houzz creative calendar in the new year
Full Story
NORTHWEST GARDENINGPacific Northwest Gardener's January Checklist
Planning, pruning and planting now will help your garden flourish in the coming year
Full Story
annpan