SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin270

Recommendations for non-toxic finish for dining table?

Erin270
9 years ago

I recently acquired a rosewood dining table second-hand. The top had been stained an unfortunate, dark and blotchy colour by the previous owner. I plan to strip it and refinish. I have read that rosewood is an oily wood and may prevent some sealants, particularly oil-based sealants, from curing properly. I understand that I can solve this problem by rubbing the stripped table with some denatured alcohol to remove the oils and then sealing immediately with (dewaxed) shellac as a basecoat.

I am wondering what to use for the subsequent coats. I prefer a more natural look to preserve the beauty of the wood but we have young children, so the table has many years of spills and abuse in store for it. I'm therefore leaning towards a water-based poly in a matte finish. I would really like to find the most eco-friendly and non-toxic option I can without sacrificing too much protection. I did some research on polywhey but saw mixed reviews. Also looked at the Safecoat products but I can't find many reviews on them. Anyone have some advice for a product with minimal toxic chemicals and off-gasing that will serve my purpose?

Comments (5)