Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Breeding Rabbits for Food and Extra Income
Comments (25)This topic fades away and is brought back time and again. I will add my thoughts here for anybody who happens by this thread in the future. The MOST important thing when getting into rabbits is to get the right type of cage, IMO. In the past, people used to recommend stacking cages with droppings pans underneath to catch the droppings. Let me tell you, this type of arrangement is a nightmare to deal with, especially once you get a doe with a litter that is hopping around with her. If you don't empty it daily, it will quickly start to overflow onto the rabbits beneath it. It is MUCH easier to just get a long row of cages with wire bottoms and let the droppings fall directly on the ground. You can corral it with cinder blocks or something and add some worms, and they'll turn it into worm castings for you, or you can shovel it once every month or two into a compost pile. The urine will soak into the ground and this method is about 10 times less smelly than the droppings pan method! I wish somebody had told me this back when I was beginning! For breeds, just research. I liked the rare breeds such as American Blues and Silver Foxes, but New Zealand Whites are fine, too. Just make sure you get your initial stock from somebody who is raising the rabbits with production goals in mind rather than "show" quality. There's nothing wrong with showing, but a show rabbit may average 4 or 5 kits per litter, while a rabbit that is raised from a mother who regularly throws 10 or 12 kits is more likely to be a good investment. Rabbits cannot take the heat. If you live in a place like Texas or Louisiana, you will probably lose rabbits during the summer unless you install a swamp cooler or misting system to keep them cool. Pigeons do much better in the heat--it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I would seriously consider the cost of a cooling system and the electricity to run it before I invested heavily in rabbits if I lived in a very hot location (I do--I live in Austin, TX, and my rabbits had a $500 swamp cooler blowing on them all summer long)....See MoreWays Of Supplementing Retirement Income?
Comments (10)Do you have some skills that you could market? On the province-wide (and that's a large "wide" - we may be bigger than Texas) radio phone-in just after noon today, a lady said that she'd bought several houses, tries to get a run-down house in a rather up-scale neighbourhood and spruced them up with some mainly rather cosmetic upgrades, and sold them for quite a bit more. So - now she consults with others who are considering selling their home, for a fee. I met a lady in a nearby city at a networking gathering a couple of months ago who's dong the same thing. Do you have a skill that might be marketable on the intenet? While it's a little harder sell than when one markets goods, handling, storing, shipping, etc. of the goods is quite a chore. And if clients don't pay - you're out real money. But if you can market a skill, an idea ... ... producing it takes brain-power, time, keystrokes, etc. If you ship out a project, and the person doesn't pay ... ... you're out some time, effort, and soured emotion ... ... but not out-of-pocket for stuff that you bought, paid for, stored (losing some on potential alternative use of the price), packed and shipped. Which is sort of a double hurt, I'd say. On the internet, often the major problem is finding the people who have need of your service. jannie, If someone asks my advice, and I offer some, then they get insulted, I sort of shrug, raise my eyebrows, and say, "Well, you asked ... ... and I shared some ideas ... ... which more or less insulted you - so do you want to hear any more ... or not?" No skin off of my nose, either way. I usually try to ask some questions, to get a feel of where they're coming from, or going, or what they have in mind, before I shoot off my mouth, so that I have a better idea of their realm of thought. If I have an idea and share it ... what the recipient does about it is his/her choice. But if s/he asks, and I don't share, possibly something that might have been of value to that person is not communicated ... and s/he might not become aware of something that might have turned out valuable to her/him. Good wishes in your search, terraaus. ole joyful...See MoreIdeas for extra freezer space
Comments (11)It's not only milk I am thinking of - just more food storage in general in the future, as we will be eating at home ourselves more as well, and we feed our 3 cats a frozen diet so their food takes up a lot of freezer space. We are already jammed in there and could use more space now. But yes I do plan to return to work and pump, though I am aware that things don't always work out as planned. And yes before our baby is mobile we will need to baby-proof the house which would include ensuring the freezer is lockable. She will be in our room for at least 6 months anyway maybe longer. Drains do not need towels or drain by themselves on the floor, they have plus and to manually defrost you remove the plug and attach a hose, feed hose to a drain or suitable container. We have no carpet in the house, LVP flooring. I think the best spot would be the hallway closet beside the stacked laundry, where there is already an outlet and space. It's upstairs not near the kitchen but I could store longer term bulk items there and move them to the kitchen freezer as things get used up. Then the question is upright or chest format and brands/models?...See MoreNeed help with incoming putrid laundry
Comments (30)Thanks for the well wishes you two. This particular daughter felt it in her best interest to break her lease and move out of that apt complex. She couldn't take it anymore. She paid the rent through the end of her lease and was content to live in a cardboard box if need be to be rid of the living conditions. Her physician was convinced she had contracted one of the hepatitis viruses from the filth at the apt complex as she needed several ER visits and subsequent hospital admissions.. Turned out she did not have hepatitis thankfully, but had to have her apendix removed. It was a rip roaring year for sure. She moved to another apt building a few months ago costing an extra $400/mo where it's not The Ritz by any stretch, but it seems to be a bit better from what I can tell from Skype video calls. This complex has a locked gate which seems to keep the 'problems' on the other side of the gate. Right outside the gate, but at least not loitering/fighting, living in the bushes, the hallways, laundry room or stairs of the complex proper. She is visibly relieved. Thus, I am as well. She's pleased with the on-site laundry machines at her new to her building. She has a laundry room on her floor. A Speed Queen set she says has no odor to it. (but her sense of smell is poor, so I hope...) She sees steam coming out of this washer which is a relief as she only does hot washes after the two years from hell at the other complex. She adds Borax and LemiShine powder laundry booster to each load as a little insurance and she feels that her Mexican Ariel covers any other 'cooties' that might be lurking in the otherwise odor-less washing machine she uses. Clorox liquid is also in her cabinet and she runs a bleach only wash before she puts her laundry in if she suspects any monkey business has been going on. She's overseas at the moment as a tutor for her university so is washing her clothes in sinks and hang drying. Lamenting the lack of ice and cold beverages in Europe (I warned her) during the heat wave. I got her a package of the Amazon brand laundry sheets type of detergent to make the many airport and train trips easier. She misses her Mex Ariel, but for 6 weeks, these laundry detergent sheets will do the job. She'll be in several countries during her stay, so the detergent sheets are carry-on bag friendlier. Mama, I offered to buy her a portable washer to smuggle into her apt. She gave it serious consideration, but since she just went through landlord after landlord not wanting to rent to her due to her age, she doesn't want to risk anything that would cause her to lose her current improved crummy apt. It was many rental rejections and she just wants to have a habitable slot in a wall to live in at this point. However, when she moves up in the world, she will never use a communal washing machine ever again--she's told me this I don't how many times. Anyhow, when she returns to the states, she'll fly to the airport in the next city here and stay here for a few days, maybe a week. Rest, eat, get her EU laundry thoroughly washed here at home, then back to Uni. The final year. Not a moment too soon. She's ready to shake the filth of her college town off her feet for good. No love lost there. I don't think she'll ever look back. Or go back. Or refer to it by it's proper name even. Hope you all are doing well! <3...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESHow to Dig Down for Extra Living Space
No room for a ground-level addition? See if a finished basement is a good idea for you
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Portland Bungalow Gets a Major Lift
Raising a whole house allowed 5 extra bedrooms and a walk-out basement — plus a boost in income
Full Story
LIFECould You Be a Landlord?
Sure, the extra income would be great. But jumping blindly into owning a rental property could be disastrous. Here's what you need to know
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESDesign Workshop: Is an In-Law Unit Right for Your Property?
ADUs can alleviate suburban sprawl, add rental income for homeowners, create affordable housing and much more
Full Story
LIFE8 Ways to Make an Extra-Full Nest Work Happily
If multiple generations or extended family shares your home, these strategies can help you keep the peace
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: How to Get Rid of Your Extra Stuff
Sell, consign, donate? We walk you through the options so you can sail through scaling down
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACES15 Tips for Small-Space Living With Baby
Keep your wee one's stuff under control and your nerves unfrazzled with these space-saving storage and baby-gear ideas
Full Story
ADDITIONSParents' Places: Ideas for Integrating an In-Law Suite
Get expert advice and inspiration for adding a comfy extra living space to your home
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDES7 Instant Backyard Getaways
Could one of these prefab studios be the extra ‘me’ space you need?
Full Story
SMALL HOMESMaking Room: Discover New Models for Tiny NYC Apartments
Explore a New York exhibition of small-space design proposals that rethink current ideas about housing
Full StorySponsored
mike_kaiser_gw