SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threestaceys

Please help me design my kitchen island

threestaceys
9 years ago

I am a long time reader of GW and this is my first post -- after tearing down my kitchen over three years ago, we are finally in a position to rebuild. [note to self: do not tear out cabinets, walls, and your ceiling until you have a plan in place... and a budget...].

The space is fairly large but has many doorways and openings to consider as well as a brick wall (fireplace on the other side in the living room).

We got some plans a few years back and I think I am going to stick with most of the suggestions (but change the pull out shelf base cabinets to drawers).

My questions right now are about the island, planned to be 103.5" x 38". The plans show the cabinets will be 90" long with an overhang.

1) I am thinking that I should scrap the long overhang and add additional cabinets. This would mean we could fit 4 stools instead of 5 (the 5th was going to be at the overhang) - we are a family of 5 but don't think we will all sit there together at the same time). Does that make sense? If so, what combination of cabinets would you use to maximize the space? I am open to extending the island a bit but don't want to go too much longer (would like to leave some open space in front of sliding door).

2) We are planning a 24" microwave drawer -- right now it is on the short side of the island opposite the oven. Do you think this is the best place for this? Also, do you think a 24" cabinet would work -- right now the plan calls for a 27" cabinet on this end of the island but I don't think that is necessary (and going to a 24" cabinet would eliminate the need for a 3" filler panel down the length of the island and free up more room for stools).

Construction is beginning this week (local tech school is building the cabinets) -- after living in kitchen limbo for many years it is exciting (and nerve-wracking) to be at the decision point. Thank you for any feedback!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!