SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbifos

Please help me design my kitchen!

debbifos
6 years ago

Hi. I've been lurking here forever but this is my first post. I have needed a new kitchen for years but have always been so overwhelmed by the domino effect of a remodel and I really don't know where to start. However, my cabinets are falling apart so I can't put it off any longer. The house is a 70's tract home and the kitchen is original with built in place cabinets and an avocado sink!

We are empty nesters. We currently have a kitchen table but it's rarely used (though DH will have his breakfast there at the weekends). I think we should to keep some sort of seating as we expect to sell the house in the next 10 years, most likely to a young family. We also never use the outside door to the laundry room but maybe we should keep that for resale too.

My goals are to open the space a bit by widening the doorway to the family room and possibly opening up to the dining room, which is very dark and could use the extra light, maybe with a pony wall. We are desperate for more counter and storage space. We also need ventilation for the range.

I would love to get the microwave off the counter and have a wall oven but don't know if there is space. It's not in the budget to move the windows or exterior doors; I wouldn't mind a straight walk through the laundry room, though. Below is the existing kitchen and the floor plan, pantry closet removed, with measurements (the window and door measurements include the trim). I hope some of you wonderful people will share your thoughts and talent with me. Thanks!

Comments (3)