SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
broken_arrow

Overflow holes in bathroom sinks - required by code?

broken_arrow
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

We're preparing to build a new house this spring, and we're in the process of finalizing the details. We recently moved from Oklahoma to Missouri, and I've noticed that many bathroom sinks here in Missouri have overflow holes. I've also noticed that they all stink!

In Oklahoma, we had one-piece cultured marble sinks/countertops, and they didn't have overflow holes. In the new house, we're planning on granite countertops with undermount sinks. I would really prefer not to have overflow holes in the sinks, especially since we never plug the drains and run water.

I'm planning to contact the county to ask about this, but it's too close to the holidays to reach anyone. The county uses the 2012 International Plumbing Code.

Does anyone know whether this code requires overflow holes on bathroom sinks? If so, is there any way around it?

Are we likely to run into any issues if we use sinks without overflows? We didn't notice any problems in Oklahoma, but I'm not sure whether they used a different plumbing/venting setup there.

I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions and experiences with this. Happy Holidays!

Comments (8)