SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demeterchaos

Completing starting over in my new kitchen...help?!

demeterchaos
9 years ago

Howdy!

If you read my profile, you'll learn all about how me, a 23-year old that lives alone with her two cats, became the new owner of a 1959 3000-sq-ft house that needs complete renovation. Well, okay, I close in 20 days so I don't really own it, yet.

In order to make this place livable as quickly as possible, I need kitchen design help! The great news is that the entire kitchen is above the unfinished basement so moving plumbing and electrical is easy-peasy.

About my cooking: Like I stated, I'm 23. I have an SO who will move in once his lease is up. We like to have people over and entertain. My family is big on hanging out in the kitchen so it really needs to be a central hub. With the layout of the house in general, that's no issue but I do need to have space to have multiple people cooking at once. Often my SO and I are eating simple-to-cook meals but on occasion I get fancy and bake something or cook something with 20 prep-steps. I don't have any children at the moment but that's on the horizon sometime before I'm 30.

Budget is a minor issue. My dad is my cash-wallet-pay-me-back-eventually funding source for the kitchen and his big things are kitchens (did I mention this house has two?) and the bathrooms.

Okay....

Now to the photos.

This is standing at the front door. That thing to the right is the kitchen island.
{{gwi:2135924}}

Here's a closer view. The main dining table will be under that chandeleir on the right but there will also be stools around the island.
{{gwi:2135925}}

As you can see, the stove/oven is in the island. I hate that. I want to be able to reach across my island and hand people things over that counter. Also, I forsee that counter being a popular spot for my cats to decide to stroll. I don't want them knocking things off the counter onto a hot burner! This seems a much greater risk with it being on the island instead of against a wall.

Here's the backside of the island:
{{gwi:2135926}}

This photo is taken stanging by the fridge (showen in the 2nd photo) and looking into the kitchen. Note: there's an exterior door behind that fridge that simply can't move. It's an exterior door! I mean, I could just make it a wall and remove the door, but why? I need to move the fridge location.
{{gwi:2135927}}
{{gwi:2135928}}
Here's another one that is looking into the kitchen from the main entryway. As you see, there's an alcove on the right that currently houses the laundry:
{{gwi:2135929}}
{{gwi:2135930}}
That laundry is not staying in my kitchen. That gives me a little more room to play. By knocking out the side wall that currently touches the big hole in the layout (near the dishwasher in the above photos) I gain an extra 5-6' in my kitchen for arrangements!

I know these aren't the best photos for reference, but they are all I have for the moment. I'm going back to the property tomorrow to get actual measurements and better photos for planning. For now, here is my best guess layout (each square is 1-foot).
{{gwi:2135931}}

Thank you!
Kristen

Comments (7)