What am I doing wrong heating a Ham? Dried out!
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (57)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Indoor seed starting... what am I doing wrong?
Comments (12)I have my shelves in an unheated pantry. Granted we don't usually have southern temps this low (high 30's, low 40's) in our part of the country, but for the past several months they have been. As most of my seedlings are started in this unheated pantry, I noticed that the fluorescent lights themselves produce a goodly amount of heat. I raised the temps under those shelves recently to 70 degrees - not because of the seedlings, but because I wanted to heat up some fermenting sauerkraut - which needed that heat to continue to ferment. Anyway - I also use this approach for my seedlings. I enclosed the area around the seedlings with a cloth to further harness the warmth - and noted the thermometer registered near 70 degrees. Certainly warm enugh for broccolli and cole seedlings. You might try putting up some shelves, attaching fluorescent lights underneath, and see what the temp reading is. Bet it would work - unless your temps go way down - but another trick yet - I usually put my sprouted seedlings into yogurt sized cups, about 8 in all, which are then placed in a plastic shoe box (mostly to catch water). These boxes are easily obtained in various variety stores. A 2nd box placed over the top will create a greenhouse effect. I'll bet your little tads will be as cozy as a bug in a rug with this approach - and won't upset things in the OTHER nursery. Just my 2 c's. Bejay...See MoreWhat am I doing wrong?! Please help, seedling problems.
Comments (7)I just wet the paper towel, fold it to about 3mm thick and put the seeds inside, fold it over, put it in a small self seal plastic bag with no holes, put it on the bed of the heated propagator and they germinate in a few days, I dont crack or remove the shell of the pips at all they grow fine on there own, once germinating I move them over to small compost pots about 3oz in volume filled with compost made from 1 part peat, 1part grit/sand and 1 part garden soil, and then put them back in the propagator with a small plastic bottle over them as a mini greenhouse, just until they get growing I always put the pips in the refrigerator for a few days before germinating as it seems to speed the germination up....See MoreWhat am I doing wrong? (sugar water)
Comments (23)Humidity is a factor. I discovered that when it is really humid or when whe have had a lot of rain like we did last year, I had to change and clean the feeders every couple of days. Humidity coupled with high heat even if the feeders are in the shade will cause mold, mildew and fungi to grow quicker than when the air is dry. Here in western NY state it has been in the 90's nearly all summer which is extremely unusual for this area. We have also been having very high humidity (gee, I feel like I am back in Louisiana) and I am changing out my feeders every other day. On a couple of occasions when it hit 98 and 99, I changed them each day. As soon as the nectar is made, it goes into the refrigerator. Penny...See MoreUPDATE to What am I doing wrong?
Comments (1)Cath You should not give up on roses as it sounds like you do like the minis. May I suggest before you pick out your next rose you first contact your local or distict rose society. They will give you advise on what roses do best in your area and which ones are the easiest to care for. Good luck and let us know what roses you pick. Liz...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESWhy Marble Might Be Wrong for Your Bathroom
You love its beauty and instant high-quality appeal, but bathroom marble has its drawbacks. Here's what to know before you buy
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: How Do You Spell Urban Heat Relief?
Turn even a small balcony into a summer oasis with retreat-conjuring plants, furniture and accessories
Full Story
FLOORSFloors Warm Up to Radiant Heat
Toasty toes and money saved are just two benefits of radiant heat under your concrete, wood or tile floors
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNWarm Up Your Bathroom With Heated Floors
If your bathroom floor is leaving you cold, try warming up to an electric heating system
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Add a Radiant Heat System
Enjoy comfy, consistent temperatures and maybe even energy savings with hydronic heating and cooling
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGInsulation Basics: Heat, R-Value and the Building Envelope
Learn how heat moves through a home and the materials that can stop it, to make sure your insulation is as effective as you think
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESGreat Design Plant: Red Yucca Spikes Dry Spots With Color
Neither heat nor cold nor lack of water fazes this flowering succulent, which adds spiky texture to Southwestern landscapes
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES6 Native Ground Covers for Tough, Dry Spots
Sun beating down on your sandy gravel? Thick shade darkening your clay soil? There’s a ground cover here for you
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESKeep Your Cool in the Garden — Here’s What to Do in August
Don’t let summer’s heat go to your head. These U.S. gardening guides will help you make sensible choices for all of your plantings
Full Story
FLOORSIs Radiant Heating or Cooling Right for You?
Questions to ask before you go for one of these temperature systems in your floors or walls (yes, walls)
Full Story
mamapinky0