SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Soaking a Cake

bbstx
9 years ago

Mom wants a lemon pound cake for Christmas dinner. This morning I made the recipe below. I made it in a bundt pan. At the 40 minute mark it was pulling away from the sides of the pan; a cake tester came out clean, and the instant read thermopen showed 211 degrees - all signs that the cake was done.

I took it out of the oven and placed it on a wire rack to cool for the required 10 minutes. I couldn't stand not knowing what it tasted like. Got out my apple corer and took a tiny bit out of what will be the bottom of the cake. Flavor was good, but it seemed a bit moist. Not too much, just a bit moister than I think cakes usually are. I once again tested with the cake tester and it came out clean.

Then it was time to spoon the lemon juice and sugar mixture over the cake. I don't know that I've ever "soaked" a cake before. I put a bit on the cake before I turned it out on the rack. After I turned it out on the rack, I spooned a bit more over the cake. I probably only used 2/3 of the mixture. I was afraid it was going to turn into a mushy mess.

Would someone like to hold my hand and tell me its going to be all right? Any words of wisdom for spooning liquids over cakes? Tips?

Christmas dinner is just immediate family. And it is the second dessert. If it is a mess, it won't be the end of the world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina Garten Lemon Cake recipe

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH