Adding jam or fruit filling between cake layers

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

I am making a white cake with confetti for my daughter�s birthday, who will be 20. She loves white cake and white frosting. I will put colored sprinkles on top of the frosting too.

As a person who thinks no cake is really a cake unless it�s chocolate (unless it�s a really dense rich carrot cake with cream cheese frosting: I even had carrot cake for my wedding), actually choosing white cake is a foreign concept.

I thought of putting a layer of jam or Solo fruit filling, either raspberry (she does love raspberry), cherry, or apricot, on top of one of the layers, before adding the frosting and putting the second layer on top. It would make it more interesting for the rest of us as well as being a surprise.

But won�t it soak into the cake and get messy or soggy? Is there some secret to doing this? Thanks!

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Soak into the cake? Yes! Messy or soggy? NO!! Cake soaked with raspberry preserves is a really good thing in my opinion....especially with chocolate frosting....sigh....But alas that's not to be...

Save    
pixistix

With any filling, I put a thin layer of buttercream over the surface first - plus a buttercream dam around the edge. Keeps the filling from soaking in and leaking out :)

Save    

So...layer of frosting on first cake layer, apply the jam, or filling, then more frosting over that to keep it from soaking up into the top layer? Or is that possible to do?

Which is better? The preserves or the fruit filling? That is always kind of cornstarchy to me, and less sweet.

I just had another idea...I have a can of lemon pie filling....

Save    
jimster

"She loves white cake and white frosting."

Forgive me for saying so, but you are trying very hard to avoid making what she really likes.

Jim

1 Like Save    
pixistix

If you're just making a 2-layer, filled cake:
1) bottom cake layer
2) THIN layer of icing (kind of a crumb-coat, just to seal the cake)
3) filling
4) second cake layer
5) ice sides/top as desired

Preserves/fillings are a personal thing - I love a tart citrus filling made with fresh citrus (sorry, I think the canned lemon filling is pretty bad, although Solo raspberry is OK - again, just my own opinion) Don't worry about the cake not being sweet enough with a not-so-sweet-filling . . . between the cake and the frosting, believe me, it'll be sweet enough.

If you go with a soft filling, make sure not to use too much or it will squish out the edges once you put the top layer on - that's where the 'dam' helps.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I make a coconut cake each year with a thin raspberry filling and have found what I like much better than jam is to cook two bags of frozen raspberries with about a cup of sugar until thickly syrupy then strain. It's thinner than jam but for some reason tastes much better and doesn't make the cake soggy at all.
It looks prettier than jam too.
I think this is a coulis, not sure.

Save    

I've never actually tried the canned lemon filling: I just have it on hand. Not sure what I bought it for. With the snow tomorrow I don't think I'll get out. I have the boxed lemon meringue pie filling mix too.

But the raspberry is the safest bet. I don't think she'd dislike it at all, just that she's never thought of it.

I bought pink flowers and balloons, and pink writing icing, so the raspberry would go well visually. Thanks!

Save    
shawnalyn

I will often add a layer of preserves between layers of a cake. For instance, I will make a chocolate cake with a layer of raspberry preserves as well as dark chocolate raspberry mousse. Or I will do yellow cake filled with strawberry jam, strawberry buttercream, and strawberries.

I don't ever do just jam, but adding the jam really intensifies the flavor of whatever your filling is flavored by.

Save    
ruthanna_gw

Someone else must like plain white cake with white frosting because although it's not shown in the photos of Wegmans that Jim posted, that's one of their best selling signature cakes (at least at our location) - no jam or filling, just a pefect white cake.

Save    
ann_t

If you know that your daughter loves white cake and white frosting, then that is what I would make.

I do not like jam or fruit filling in cakes. So if my mom asked me what cake I wanted and I ended up with something different than what I asked for I would wonder why she bothered asking.

Ann

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Easiest, Most Versatile Cake Stand You'll Ever Make
Show off sweet somethings and your own impressive handiwork — just don't let on how little effort it took
Full Story
Decorating Guides Room of the Day: Adding Comfort and Style to a New Jersey Family Room
Layers of natural textures and pops of color help create a welcoming and cozy space for a couple and their baby
Full Story
Edible Gardens How to Grow 10 Favorite Fruit Trees at Home
Plant a mini orchard in fall, winter or early spring to enjoy fresh-off-the-tree fruit the following year
Full Story