SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

LG's new Washer in a Drawer

lee676
9 years ago

Fisher & Paykel makes a DishDrawer dishwasher. Sharp makes a microwave oven drawer. Now LG has a new top-load washing machine in a drawer - two of them actually, WD200Cx and WD100Cx. They appear to be 27" wide and can be used as pedestals for some of LG's front-load washers. LG is pitching these as a washing-machine equivalent of a double oven, allowing you to run two laundry loads of differing sizes, types, and settings without needing additional floor space for a second washer. The washer drawer slides out to reveal a lid with a window that opens into a shallower version of a typical modern HE top load tub, with a rotating impeller plate at the bottom. LG is suggesting using it for undies, socks, and delicates as the main washer launders the larger, bulkier items. They're selling both units stacked together as the Twin Wash, but the drawer will be sold separately as well.

Not much info has been released yet, but the settings are independent of each other and they don't share water, suggesting they're plumbed separately. I have to assume the pedestal drawer needs its own electrical connection and maybe its own circuit, as most LG washers already strain the available 120 volt /15 amp circuit by themselves. There won't be a matching dryer built into a pedestal, so you'll need to fit items from both washers into the dryer, or dry them separately, or line dry some items.

A pedestal that washes extra clothes is nice enough, but I'm more intrigued by using one of these separately as a second washer in or near the bedroom or bathroom in homes where the main laundry machines are in the basement. It could be built into the wardrobe cabinetry or bathroom pantry area, good for washing a small load of clothes you want to wear the next day when you don't have enough laundry to warrant doing a full load. It could be paired with something like this bookshelf dryer, and you'd have a convenient little laundry station upstairs, much like a compact fridge or microwave for when you want to grab a bite without going down to the kitchen. Still, I wonder if the cost of adding plumbing or electrical wiring will deter sales (I assume this will be necessary even if used as a pedestal underneath the main washer - how else would it fill with water and drain it?) Existing LG washers or dryers don't have any ports for attaching a second washer.

No word on pricing yet. Here's a report on these from CNet

Here is a link that might be useful: LG new laundry machines 2015

Comments (14)