SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Soup, soup, and more soup....Xmas Eve dinner

jakkom
9 years ago

My family usually does Xmas, not Xmas Eve, but this year my brother and his wife visited but couldn't stay the whole day, flying back to LAX Xmas evening. So we decided to do our usual gourmet potluck on Xmas Eve instead.

Sometimes we get (ahem) a bit hyper-competitive (we are all good cooks) and go in fifty different directions with the menu. I asked this year if we could simplify things and just do soup. Even so, we ended up with the following:

Lahmacun (Armenian: լահմաջուն, aka lahmaǰun): their famed "pizza bread" spread with lamb and herbs. As my brother was only flying in for a couple of days, they picked up the breads at their fav Armenian bakery, which don't really exist up here in the SF Bay Area.

A second Armenian flatbread, but only with herbs, including sumac (one of our number is a vegetarian)

Miso. Done by our vegetarian BIL, this restored my faith in this oft-abused soup. Restaurant versions taste of nothing but soya to me. This was a perfect homemade bonita-based broth with great quality local white miso. All the traditional Japanese additions, too, such as carefully tied kombu rolls (my family is JapAm, so "doing it right" with Japanese cuisine is the only rule we follow in cooking, LOL). So pretty - I should have taken a photo....oh, well.

Cabbage-bread soup. No idea where my sister got this recipe, but she's been using it for decades. Her daughter requested it as it was her fav soup growing up. Shredded cabbage, fresh bread croutons, stock, and lots of cheese. This time it was fontina, Gruyere and Parmesan-Reggiano. Make it too far ahead, it turns thick like bread pudding, equally good. My DH had never had this before and fell in love. She likes to finish the soup in the oven; it creates a wonderful browned-cheese crust like French onion soup does.

Turkey-orzo soup. I always have broth in my frig so I pumped it up over the last month. Not just turkey necks, whose meat I strip off the simmered necks and use in the soup after reboiling the bones - but also roast chicken and roast duck bones went in, along with various stock veggies. Strained, cooked down and refrigerated so I could strip off the fat, the stock practically gelled as soon as it was taken off the burner. Added the chopped turkey meat, cooked orzo pasta, a bit of hot sauce, and the sneaky addition of mashed roasted garlic cloves.

Dessert was fun stuff:
Pecan meringues with caramel pastry cream filling. We had to dry these out in the oven during dinner before she could assemble the pre-cooked meringues. The day had turned rainy so the meringues kept softening! But although a pain to make and messy to cut - it was two big circles, like a cake - it tasted fabulous.

Homemade "Viennetta". My niece grew up loving this famed frozen dessert, first created and sold by Unilever under various brands (see the short Wiki article on the link below). It hasn't been sold in the U.S. since 2010 and she missed it so much, she learned to make it herself.

-------------

Everything worked out well and it was a great evening. Next year we'll probably go back to our usual over-the-top gourmet fest, but this proved a nice change, nothing stressful (except for those meringues!) but all of it delicious.

So, what did your family do? Anything different, or staying traditional?

Here is a link that might be useful: Short article & photo of Viennetta dessert

Comments (6)