SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59_gw

Vintage Oak Floor with Pegs and French Bleed Edge

HomeChef59
9 years ago

I'm getting ready for a kitchen renovation. The current floor is travertine. Previous owner installed the floor. It has a hairline crack all the way down the length of the floor. I've consulted with two flooring guys so far. They both said the reason for the failure was bad installation practices.

The 60 year old Cape Cod is somewhat open concept. The keeping room and dining room are located at each respective end of the kitchen. The Keeping Room opens on to a casual living area. The casual living area is natural black slate. The Keeping Room and Dining Room are 7",6" and 3" patterned white oak boards with holes drilled into the boards. These holes are filled with dowels. The boards are edged with a French Bleed edge.

The easiest route is to replace the travertine with black slate. But, the room is dark due to a porch adjacent to the kitchen window. I would like to install this form of wood flooring in the kitchen. The kitchen is 21' x 10', or 210 square feet.

The first flooring guy said that he could replicate the look. But, upon closer questioning he couldn't get the French Bleed edge. The second said that he could do it, but it would require custom milling.

Has anyone gone the custom milling route? What's involved? Most importantly, how much more is it going to cost than the natural slate floor?

I'm providing a sample picture of the Keeping Room floor. Has anyone embarked upon such a journey. Am I crazy?

Comments (4)