SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Adjacent Rooms -- Tile Colors, Sizes, Layment

chisue
9 years ago

(I don't know if "layment" is a word. I'm talking about diagonal or straight.)

Please answer any parts you can. I hate decorating decisions, especially things that are permanent and expensive. (Bids are $5K labor only. This is Hawaii; no comparison with mainland costs.) Also, this is a condo we occupy part of the winter and rent out other times of the year; must be *practical*, and money IS an object.

All of our condo flooring is what I call "Maui Red Dirt", a rough finish, mottled, 13 X 13 ceramic, laid on the diagonal with dark grey grout. This tile is no longer available. Why the baths weren't done is beyond me. They are 4" gloss tiles, floors and shower. (Incredible waste of labor!)

I need to re-do two small bathroom floors. Each floor is roughly 3 X 6.

I need to re-do a very small (not even 34 X 34) shower.

Toilets, sinks and tub are 'beige'. Vanity tops are lighter beige, mottled cultured marble (good condition). Cabinetry is a light pseudo-bamboo (good condition).

General Rules, please?

Stay dark going into the bathroom floors, but go lighter in the shower? (Dark could feel like showering in a cave. Possibly boost the lighting?)

Lay tile on the diagonal -- floor AND shower walls?

Use larger tiles -- floors AND shower walls?

I'm looking at American Olean Costa Rei in Oro Meile and Peitra Bianca. These are 'shaded' -- darker portions 'bleeding out' to lighter overall.

Floor tile comes 12 X 12 and 18 X 18.
Wall tile comes 3 X 6, 6 X 6 and 14 X 14.

Thank you!

Comment

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths