SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Vitamix and PVC?

plllog
9 years ago

I've been dithering over the "what do you want" question. I hate chosing my own gifts, but sometimes the donors are more generous than creative or observant. I thought I'd put a Vitamix on the list because I'm so over cranking the food mill through three disks and then having still having to run through cloth.

The Vitamix does liquify to sand-free, right?

But then I read the description. PVC jars? Really?? They say BPA free PVC jars. Is it BPA that makes the PVC not food safe, so these would be okay? What do they use instead of BPA and is it worse? They have these new Tritan copolyester jars which don't come with the units. These are supposed to be more food safe. But if that's true, why are they selling the PVC jars?

I'm not a fanatic, and I'm sure there are older plastics in my kitchen which are less than perfect (though I've gotten rid of the most suspect ones). If it's just a matter of it's food safe until it melts, that's okay, I guess. I've been trying to find the answers through web searches but am mightily concerned that in their long long long list of FAQs, I couldn't find one that addressed food safety of the plastics. That omission seems to say a lot.

Please, do any of you tech heads and scientists know anything about this? It's one thing to keep using the old FP, and another to buy or receive a brand new very expensive thing that isn't up to current standards...

Comments (10)