SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaggs_gw

Ceiling height in a 1 story home in central california?

jaggs
9 years ago

Hello,
I've been browsing this forum for about the last year now and it is such a great place to learn others opinion on different topics of home building. Thanks to those who made this made it what it is!

We are finally building our dream home on 4 acres here in central California, and would like to get your opinions on ceiling height. I have seen some similar topics in this forum regarding this, however I would like to restart this discussion to get more experiences from others, especially those from a warmer climate such as central/northern California.

Our house will be 4500 square feet of heated/cooled space, and we are thinking of 12 ft ceilings throughout. This includes the bedrooms. The bathrooms and closets may or may not be framed down (should we?).

So we are looking if you can provide us with your experiences on the following for 12 ft ceilings throughout:
1. The look and feel of 12 ft everywhere and the bedrooms. All bedrooms are 15 by 20 or larger, and have bathrooms/walk in closets.
2. Would 10 ft in the bedrooms be better look/feel? Would 12 ft feel more luxurious? We are currently living in a 1250 sq ft house that has 8 ft ceilings throughout.

We don't want to make a mistake and have 12 ft in our bedrooms look out of proportion, but we do want to give it a luxurious feel that I think I understand that taller ceilings provide. Thank you guys for your help. I will be posting on a regular basis from now on. BTW, I am a Civil Engineer, and will be doing the contracting by myself, and think that 12 ft throughout would provide simplicity when constructing this house rather than differing ceiling heights.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to your answers!

Comments (19)