SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodiefrog

Kobe refuses to honor warranty on a new but defective range hood

foodiefrog
9 years ago

I hate that my first post to Gardenweb is regarding such a negative issue. However, I have heavily consulted the extensive info on this site for the past 6 months to help plan and implement a kitchen remodel, and I am grateful! I felt compelled to post this message to add to the collective experience re: Kobe range hoods.

I bought a new Kobe range hood model CH2230SQB-1 from TheNaturalHome.com for nearly $800 in November 2014. It was promptly dropped shipped to me directly from the Kobe warehouse in Arcadia, CA. It is beautiful and I was so excited to install it, but it was defective out of the box. During the temporary power up test suggested before installation, the fans seemed to work fine but the LED lights did not work. Looked to see if there was a loose connection but all wiring looked intact. Began moving the hood to put it back in the shipping box, and the lights temporarily flickered and even stayed lit for a few seconds, but then they quickly stopped working and couldn't get them to come back on.

Started a service call with Kobe's ADCO warranty division and they were somewhat distant. I had to be proactive, urging them to move the service order along promptly and contacting them to get updates. Kobe then refused to send a repair technician from the company that ADCO usually contracts with in my region, and the only other trained servicer in my area would not take the repair call because I did not buy the unit from them. Requested KOBE to reconsider sending the alternate servicer or send a replacement working unit and they refused to do either. They would not honor their warranty to repair or replace a defective unit!

Asked the vendor to step in. He eventually did, but only after insinuating that I may have compromised the hood during the power test, and even said "what's the big deal; it's just the lights; go ahead and install it." Wow! I turned to pressing Kobe to resolve the issue but seemed to get nowhere. Then, today, TheNaturalHome offered to refund my money if I returned the hood to Kobe.

But I don't want to return the hood, as this is the model that fits best in my remodeled kitchen. I was finally able to talk to a Kobe manager, but he said there was no one in the entire Arcadia office that could authorize repair or replacement of the defective hood, including the head executive! He said all they could do is send an email to the Kobe headquarters in Japan to ask if there is anything they may be willing to authorize in relation to this warranty issue. So the American headquarters of a global manufacturing company is not delegated authority to make a decision on a simple customer service issue to repair or replace a malfunctioning unit as per the terms of their warranty. Wow.

If Kobe's weren't the only 30" wide x 22" deep x 6" tall hoods I could find with baffle filters, LED lights, and supposedly quiet fans, I would run as fast as I could from this apparently non-customer centric company that won't stand behind their product. Problem is, this is the model that best fits my space, so all I want is a functioning CH2230SQB-1. It's not too much to ask. I cannot understand how Kobe has been unwilling to resolve this simple issue. Kobe's behavior has been quite the opposite of how the company markets itself on its website: "Kobe Range Hoods has experienced tremendous growth throughout its history due to OUR ATTENTION TO QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE. We INVITE YOU TO JOIN US and play an important part in the innovation that Kobe creates for the kitchens of the future!"

Do not believe it for one second. Kobe had poor quality control on this hood and then displayed the worst customer service I've ever experienced. BUYER BEWARE!

I have to decide by Monday morning if I want to print a provided shipping label and send the hood back for a refund, or instead hope that Kobe replies with a decision to honor their warranty. I'm leaning toward cutting my losses with this unit and returning it.

Any advice out there?

Comments (22)