SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pittsburrito

Faber range hood reviews?

pittsburrito
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Can anyone here please share their experience(s) with a Faber range hood? We are considering a Faber Maestrale 10, but can find zero reviews about it. The specs meet a lot of what we are looking for, but it is nerve-racking to purchase it without information from other Faber hood users! I searched the archives here and found very little about Faber hoods, none of which was recent. Would love user feedback on the Faber hood brand in general, and/or this model.

Many thanks!

Comments (39)

• zneret
    5 years ago

I have a Faber Scirocco downdraft (came with the house). If nothing else it appears to be reliable (given the mechanism) and powerful but there is a huge design flaw - it rises too low (8.5") and sucks the flame from the gas burners. Faber redesigned it and came out with the Scirocco II which has a 14" rise.

One question is how much can you get if for and what else are you considering?

• pittsburrito
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm sorry to hear your downdraft has that design flaw! I'm glad you still deem it to be reliable and powerful, though!

The price of the under-cabinet Faber Maestrale 10 is $949. We are also considering Kobe Premium CH9130 SQB-1 , but its rounded corners would not match our GE Monogram range as well as the Faber hood's shape.

• Related Discussions

cross post from kitchens - faber hood

Q

Comments (9)
    I have the Faber STILO hood. FYI, on the Faber site it appears the STILO has a digital control level readout on the front. Mine does not, it just has buttons, no digital readout. Maybe they changed it to digital?? I really like the Faber Stilo hood a lot. It's a gorgeous and sturdy looking hood. The baffles come off very easily and you just pop them in the DW to wash them. I turn the hood on no matter what I'm cooking or baking. Even if it's just to boil water. Level's 1 and 2 are all I ever need. Level 1 is pretty quiet... it starts to get a little loud on 2, and 3 is downright loud. BUT, this thing sucks all the smoke and grease out of the house like a dream!! With the hood OFF, when I bake, the 5" riser on the Wolf (AG) range brings the heat from the oven up and creates condensation on the glass backsplash. When I turn the hood on it quickly dried the glass completely. That's how I know this thing definitely works :) I recommend it.
    ...See More

Faber Pro Range hoods

Q

Comments (4)
    We have a Faber IncaPro Plus 1200cfm insert in a custom wood hood and are very happy with it. We have a 36in 6 burner Bluestar range and have cooked with our wok, boiled, fried, etc and have been very happy with the performance. As pp mentioned on full bore it is a tad noisy, but rarely do we need it on at that level. We too were looking at some pricier options initially but are glad we saved the $ (as we went over budget on so many other areas). Depending on the cfm you want, make sure you can fit the right ductwork (we had to go 10in width).
    ...See More

Faber range hoods sones information

Q

Comments (1)
    For anyone searching re: Faber, customer service wrote me: -sones listed are measured *with* the silent kit when the silent kit is included in the listed specifications -Minimum is 3.5 sones
    ...See More

Faber Hood: Great Design but Faber's Service is Terrible

Q

Comments (2)
    We had a Faber Inca insert that stopped working after 4 years. No one would come fix it. We had to rip out and re-build our hood. I have a Prestige insert now. So far, so good. I'm sorry for your troubles.
    ...See More
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

I had a Faber range hood for 14 years. No issues. I ended up with a Vent a Hood in my remodel, and remember thinking that it's not as quiet as the Faber.

• zneret
    5 years ago

The Vent-a-Hood may be noisier but for different reasons. I had a dual fan Vent-a-Hood in my old house and will install another dual-fan in my current house to replace the Faber. The older downdraft Fabers had a somewhat continuously variable speed fan instead of the 3 speed in your particular model. At maximum speed, it is noisy but the fan is in the cabinet instead of in the hood.

• greenmetro9394
    5 years ago

Any update on your luck with the Faber Maestrale?

• pittsburrito
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No update with knowledge. (We haven't purchased it yet.) Still hoping for an inline motor ventilation plan, but if those details don't come together, the Maestrale 10 is our back up plan. We are meeting with a new kitchen designer this week. (We had a health delay, and the designer we were previously working with moved away during that time.) Hoping to get the kitchen project done this spring!

• Jean Cabel
    5 years ago

You have probably completed your project by now, but I wanted to share our experience. We chose a Classica Plus 600CFM for a kitchen remodel based on the recommendation of our dealer. We’ve had it two years and it’s gradually gotten so loud (on just the first setting), that the TV has to be turned up in the adjoining room. The hood is beautiful, but I too, wish I had found reviews before purchasing. It was installed according to the instructions in the booklet, and it’s on an outside wall. I have been in “contact” with someone from Faber who responds to my emails (never gave me a name), but said the hood was installed too close to the stove top (it wasn’t), there might be a nest in our vent (there isn’t), and the duct work is too long to the outside of the house (not an issue either). The Faber contact offered to sell me a new fan at factory cost (but didn’t mention how much that was), and said “Sorry. That’s all I can do.” We are past any warranty coverage, so at least they offered something. I’m just disappointed in the performance of the hood. I won’t be doing another kitchen remodel, but I can’t recommend a Faber hood to anyone who is.

• pittsburrito
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We have not implemented our kitchen update plans yet (now aiming for this summer), and have recently redesigned our exhaust route. Are now considering a Best by Broan (Centro Poco) or a Broan Elite, both with an inline fan. Lack of Faber reviews made us nervous to try it!

• HU-85276342
    4 years ago

Have a Faber hood/ exhaust fan that is about 9 years old. Just had to replace a power on/off switch for the fan. The buttons have been redesigned on current models but do not know if the power switch on the circuit board has changed. Would have cost about $100 parts + $100 labor if I had not found a new power switch on ebay ($5) and soldered the new power switch to the hood circuit board.

• Aninteriors Design
    4 years ago

dont go with faber. we had the veil hood installed and within two weeks it stopped working. the engineer came and said the hole for the extractor was too small so needed to be cut larger and they couldn't do anything till that was done. once I advised them it was done they took another month to come with a new motor. The engineer after putting a new motor in still couldn't get it to work and realised it the circuit boards blown. and now after a month I've still not recieved a new circuit board fitting appointment. I've had to chase then up on each occasion.
    I would never get faber again, it's been 6 months they've been dragging their heels at each stage.

• John McDermid
    4 years ago

I forget when I first posted my comment about failed motors on our Faber Tender, but we are now on our fourth in three years, this is the last one under the extended warranty. I kept number two as it may still have a little life left in it if necessary.

• loraleeac
    4 years ago

Was considering the Faber Camino Pro but based on these comments I think we will avoid Faber! Thank you for the input everyone! Does anyone know anything about Vent A Hood?

• michael bednarz
    4 years ago

I have just remodeled my home and the faber hood above the stove that was installed and worked for a few times then stopped working all together. I had an electrician come out to check all of the wiring and he said it is a problem with the hood itself. I cannot find anyone in the Chicago area to come out and service this piece of crap hood and now i am looking to have to buy another, obviously NOT a faber. I wish was the only cost was buying a new hood but the first installation was expensive now I’m looking at buying a new hood having The piece of crap faber removed and paying for another one installed. Faber has not responded to multiple emails and phone calls. DO NOT EVER PURCHASE ANY PRODUCTS FROM FABER!!!!

• John McDermid
    4 years ago

Yup, Faber Tender 36-inch Motor Unit Number Four now shrieking like a banshee and constituting our third claim under the extended warranty plan initiated on November 11; tech on site today to confirm the problem and advise the warranty company: spectacular rate of failure for what should be a pretty simple component!!

• HU-622353169
    4 years ago

Please don’t buy this faber hoodfan. It is totally waste of money. The amount of money you pay to buy a new motor n still doesn’t work might as well buy any other brand. I bought new house n got this in a package. It only work 3 yrs and after that it stop. Called service people n they said warranty expired buy another motor. Bought another motor used it for 6 months and now second one doesn‘t work. totally not a good brand.

• cakap
    4 years ago

I regret buying a Faber for my new kitchen renovation. The previous Faber hood lasted 20 years and this one I installed a little over a year ago was noisy and now doesn't work at all. Trying to get help from Faber. Any thoughts?

• Shaun Martin
    4 years ago

Absolute garbage. included in a new house we bought. The (expensive) fan motor lasted 2 years, when it should last 20. Faber Corp's response was basically "tough luck".

• Chris Connell
    4 years ago

We have a Faber Smart X A90. It’s has an incredibly annoying rattling sound when it’s on. It’s just about bearable on the lowest setting. The build quality in general is visibly poor. Really regret buying it.

• John Barnes
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Its a solid product, pretty much commercial grade. But, at least in Canada, there is absolutely zero warranty support or even a place to buy parts if you try to do it yourself. Mine had a motor failure. Unlike most brands you can but a generic "off the shelf," motor but Faber uses a custom built motor, impossible to find.

• Steve C
    3 years ago

I purchased a Faber Camino Pro 1200 in April 2020. From the day that it was installed, the lighting unit did not work and the fan speed knob broke off twice as the knob is a real cheap plastic which even the factory rep said there is improved version. well, improved version installed and broke within 2 weeks and so far the factory rep is a real character to deal with. It's ridiculous what my experiences has been with this brand and customer support so far. Two months after, my lights still do not work and still no remedy on the knob keeps breaking off situation.

Having said that, when it works the fan works great (so far)........

• sunnym3
    3 years ago

We purchased a Fabre Camino Pro also and fan speed knob has broken 4 times. Until they get this redesigned with a knob worthy of the amount we spent they are just going to have to send us a whole darn box of knobs.

• Steve C
    3 years ago

@sunnym3

I took a rotary volume knob off from my old stereo system and it works perfectly as the fan switch. No more POS cheap plastic knob breaking off. Yes it sounds ridiculous but the problem is resolved. Maybe I will send them one of the stereo knob to copy.

• John McDermid
    3 years ago

We have finally put our Faber range hoods behind us: a 20-year-old la Perla 36-inch that we should never have replaced with an almost identical Tender hood fan in 2016, the later of which ran through three motor units in under three years until the extended warranty company paid us out. The new one is a Falmec Pyramid Pro that cost a fair amount to refit and rewire, but is running beautifully and exactly as whisper-quiet as promised: fingers crossed!

• Edward Nowak
    3 years ago

Do not buy a Faber hood. After 6 months my hood pitted with rust. FABER is not honoring the warrenty. They are insisting I used a bleach to clean the hood which never have. All my other appliances have no issuses with my cleaning material.

• bontaylor12
    3 years ago

I Have a 36" Faber Perla which installed in my new build in 2015. Within two years the lights would not work. It was covered under new home warranty but I was told it was my fault for wiping it down with a damp cloth. Now a few years later the fan is useless because the on/off slide type switches made of plastic have malfunctioned and do not connect anymore. Under the plastic frame, the electrical parts have receded and I cannot get to it. Faber makes nice looking hoods, but they are TOO MUCH MAINTENANCE!

• rwhiteplains NY
    3 years ago

Stay away from Faber!!! we just bought a Faber Maestrale 18" (for 1500+) for our kitchen remodeling, it doesn't work at day one after electrician installed it, our electrician spoke to their technical department, they said it might be a controller panel problem and they have to ordered the parts! imagine our frustration, this is a brand new Hood, a brand new FAULTY hood.

• kaseki
    3 years ago

I can only suggest for those who want the hood but need it working: Gut the existing blower and install a down-roof exterior blower assembly such as Broan manufactures on the outside wall or wherever your hood exhausts. Use an induction type motor. Buy a variable motor control from Broan or from your friendly electrical distributor and mount it in the hood or on a wall. Wire appropriately, conforming to NFPA 70.

• pittsburrito
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

OP here. Thought I should report back that we did similar to what kaseki just recommended. Except we installed a Fantech remote inline fan instead of a Broan . However, we did use a Broan hood shell, so no Faber Maestrale involved at all! Works great, and we love it! Don't forget the Silencer. Worth every penny.

• Marty H
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For either Kaseki or Pittburrito, or anybody else>> I would love more information on this solution

We have a Faber Maestrale 18 36 inch hood and have had motor noise for about a year, today the the motor quit, looking for solutions

Thank you

• John McDermid
    3 years ago

Wish I could suggest something, but after burning through three motors in as many years with a Faber range hood we closed the book, took the settlement from the extended warranty coverage and moved to a Falmec NRS unit, a monster to install but whisper quiet.

• kaseki
    3 years ago

@Marty H: I'm not sure what your question is. Given that you know what your CFM requirements are based on hood size (see a bazillion threads here) and understand the pressure loss picture well enough to estimate the rated CFM of the blower needed, (or just use a factor of 1.5), pick a blower from the Wolf, Broan, Fantech, Abbaka, etc. products depending on how you can mount it and adapt it.

Some electrical work will be required when the blower is at point X and the hood and/or blower control is at point Y. That is, the power to the blower has to get from where the old fan was to where the new blower fan is. And if the motor types are different, then the motor control has to be different. Every case will need some tailored solution. @pittsburrito may be able to describe his adaptation in sufficient detail to allow you to copy it. I have no information on the motor control details of the Faber hood line.

• Ginny Merritt
    3 years ago

We just purchased a Faber from Build.com - not working .. DO NOT buy FABER

• wdardis
    3 years ago

We included an Inca Pro Plus Hood in our kitchen remodeling project. We experienced a problem with one of the hood lights not turning on. We were told by the appliance seller, the distributor, and the Faber technical assistance person (who was rude and never followed-up) that it was caused by a defective light bulb, which is not covered by the waranty. After rotating and replacing the light bulbs, we called in an appliance repair person who resolved the issue. The problem was an incorrectly wired light switch (i.e. manufacturing error). By the time we had the problem corrected, we were out of waranty. We asked Faber for for some financial consideration which was apparently denied since they did not respond to the request. if customer service or technical assistance might be important to you... DO NOT buy FABER

• pineapplecake
    2 years ago

Wish I would have researched this more before buying our Faber hood. I extensively researched all of our other appliances and fixtures, but when it came to the hood I foolishly accepted the recommendation of the salesperson at the appliance store. We're now less than three weeks into using it, and tonight when I went to turn the fan on, I heard a "pop" and the breaker tripped. When I reset the breaker, the lights will work, but the fan doesn't even attempt to turn on. Not a great first impression.

• Ian Richardson
    2 years ago

Not had a good experience with Faber. Purchased a Faber Fabula from WREN kitchens and it was an out of box failure. Because the 28 returns policy had elapsed WREN didn't want to know. Whirlpool service Faber products in the UK and it took 8 working days to get an tech to look at it. We are now on day 22 and still waiting for replacement parts!! Wish I had stuck with Neff.

• linmurphy10
    last year

We purchased a Faber pull out for our kitchen remodel. Loved the look and the features. The first motor started to squeal after about 3 months. At first Faber was going to replace the motor which apparently took weeks to locate, but then decided to replace the entire unit. It took over three months from the time I lodged the concern 'til the new unit arrived. At our expense our cabinet maker dismantled the cabinet and installed the new fan. It is so loud that it makes the whole cabinet vibrate when it is on. I am upset and dissapointed and wish we had not chosen a Faber fan.

• pineapplecake
    last year

Following up on my post above, ours did eventually get repaired, but it took weeks, between getting the part and and a slot on the repair company's schedule. I will say that it has been working well for us since that repair (well over a year now), but it still does not inspire confidence, and I would certainly go with a different hood if I was able to do it all over again.

• saul vaul
    last month

Terrible experience with my faber vent hood. lasted a very short time before it progessively broke. Completely stopped functioning just before the warranty ended. Still waiting many week for a repair from their local service provider. will update if and when it ever is fixed. I would certainly steer clear of this company