SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Too many recipes, food trends, in a morass

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

How many recipes have you collected and never tried? I just noticed I have a ton just in bookmarks on line, let alone all I've cut from magazines over the years...let alone cookbooks. Have you ever made a concerted effort to go through them and try them just for fun? Or do they sit and age, waiting for a someday that rarely comes?

I have so many recipes, many from when I culled MIL's recipe box after she passed as well as mother's recipe box...and they all sit there untried. Apparently MIL struggled to find the perfect pot roast as I came across easily 30 different versions she'd saved over the years.

When I was doing low fat, I had a lot of recipes from Cooking Light magazine...but then I got suspicious as so many times the next month would print corrections, and I'd never bother to see if it was a correction to one I'd already pulled out of the earlier magazine. Now that I'm not doing low fat, I find I skip over them.

I noticed too that food trends have change dramatically over the years. The recipes from 50 years ago, would seem now more in style with what we'd consider healthier today, than those from say 20 or 30 years ago. The really old recipes didn't rely on prepared foods, and fat and sugar substitutes...instead they used basic real food.

So should I just cull again and toss those full of prepared foods and mixes? Or will 10 or 20 years down the road will they be back in style and I'll be sorry I tossed them? Or considering I've never made most of them, will I never miss them?

If I do try a new recipe, I do try to remember to make comments on it...if I doctored it at all, or how it came out. But then sometimes when I go through recipes, I see notes on ones I have no memory of ever making...sometimes they're really good and I've forgotten all about them, esp over the years. And this is frustrating because, often when I have company, I'm looking for something new to serve, but would prefer T&T over let's give this a stab.

I do have a recipe box where I keep track of company meals I've served, how it came out and who was attending so I can refresh my memory, serve what works to others without repeats.

And should I print out all the bookmarked ones? Is there a better electronic storage system for on-line recipes that allows one to add ones own notes and comments? (I noticed that some of the bookmarked ones lead to broken links now so they're gone.)

How do you manage all of this? Do you have a way of preserving and reminding yourself of your favorite recipes? Do I need to make a concerted effort to try at least a new recipe once a week? Can you help me out of my morass? Or is this just part of what happens when one cooks and entertains, and I should just go with it...

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations