SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

mti baths and sinks ess anyone?

Nancy in Mich
9 years ago

I am considering having a MTI Boutique Counter-Sink made of Engineered Solid Stone. It is one of those modern, thick countertops up to 6" deep with a sink integrated into it. If the countertop is not thick enough to hold the entire basin of the sink, then the vanity will do so. They can be made anywhere from 1.5" thick to 6", from 16" deep front-to-back to 24" (depending on the sink style), and from 24" to 74" long. Yes, you fill out the order form, tell them the dimensions, the sink you want, where you want it placed, where and how many faucet holes to drill, if you want an overflow (front or back?) and if you want a matte or shinny finish on the counter-sink. They make it in Georgia in an employee-owned company, and ship it to you. It sounds really good. I will get my price quote on Friday. The Boutique made-to-order thing seems new, but MTI has been making ESS for a while, it seems like.

Has anybody had a sink or tub by MTI made of their ESS? It is an engineered solid surface made of "a mixture of ground natural minerals and binding agents that are liquefied, poured and then hardened." They go on to say, "Approximately 65% of the material is organic, including minerals mined from the earth, making it quite "Green". Utilizes a "Green" resin of combined renewable bio-derived and / or recycled content.
In contrast to some composite material products on the market, MTI Boutique Collection products are solid through-and-through, with no layers, hollow or void areas, requiring no type of surface coating. This material is non-porous, stain-, mold- and mildew-resistant, making cleaning and maintenance easy."

I am interested in how the material has worn. Do you have matte or polished ESS? Has it scratched, chipped, or worn in any way? Do you like it? Why or why not? Pros and cons? Has anything stained it?

Anyone following my bathroom remodel occasional threads may remember that I was going to have a Kohler Brockway sink. Well, when we had to widen that bathroom door to 36", just in case I ever need a wheelchair, I had to make the vanity 18". The Brockway alone is about that. I decided I did not want it without a ledge behind it or counter next to it. After weeks of searching out all the vanities, console sinks, pedestal skins, wall-mount sinks and all the variations I could think of, I ended up buying my THIRD vanity of this remodel off of Craigslist. This one is 18" deep x 47" long x 31.5" high. It is a ladies desk-like vanity, with three drawers down each side and one in the middle, deeply tarnished brass oval drawer pulls, fluted posts on either side of the drawer banks on either end, a beautiful curvy center drawer with a wood carving on the apron below it, and wood carvings on the aprons at the bottoms of both drawer banks. It has been shabby-painted with medium turquoise chalk paint with some mahogany showing through. Some white primer shows through, as well. I may repaint. Not sure if I will, or if I do, not sure if I will do shabby again. It is solid on all 8 legs, no rocking or tilting at all.

I want a very high vanity, so will do a 6 inch top. The 37.5" high suits me now when standing or when sitting on my walker. That hypothetical wheelchair of my possible future may someday require a different sink.

My big decision is whether I get the one with the smallish 15" l x 10.25" w x 4.5" d sink in it so that I can get a 16" wide countertop that leaves the front edge of the curvy vanity top visible. I could leave an inch or two on each side visible, too. Or maybe not, maybe I would go all the way to the wall and all the way to the outer edge of the vanity with the countertop.

Or do I get the nice big sink - 18.5" x 12.5" x 5" oval, or a 20" x 12.5" x 5" rectangular or even a 39.5" x 12.5" x 4.5" rectangular sink in a 47" long counter? Those will completely cover the top of the vanity in 6 inches deep of white polished man-made stone. The curves of the vanity will only be visible from the front. No wooden top will be visible, the sink will be as close to the front edge as they can make it. The vanity top will be right up against the wall on the left and the back. It will just be over the edge by a quarter inch in the front and sides, except where the curves are in the front, where the top will hide 1" to1.5" curving cut-outs as the top cuts in at the edge of the indented center drawer, then curves back out with the curvy drawer front. The drawer front and the apron and the carving on the apron are all still there, the sink is just up above it, making a straight, modern line up there. I simply obscures the vanity top that follows all those curves of the front of the vanity.

I have trouble reaching the faucet in our current vanity in the morning. I have a collagen disorder, and I wake with all of my intercostal (rib) muscles in contraction and my back so stiff it is hard to move. That is the biggest reason this big modern top is so attractive to me. It gets everything up high.

Any thoughts on leaving the edge visible or not? Sorry I don't have pics of my turquoise vanity today. Tomorrow afternoon we should bring it in where I can photograph it.

Comments (4)