SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rantontoo

Tile Shower with a Corian Ceiling...doable or just tile?

rantontoo
9 years ago

I have searched on/off for over six months for an example of a tiled shower that uses 1/4-1/2 inch Corian for a ceiling instead of tile with no success. My only "hit" was a 2013 response from Trebruchet; he suggested that approach to a posting about what do do with a ceiling in a shower remodel.

We will begin remodeling a basement bathroom that has a shower (will be 38" x 66") under warm/cold ducting. Moisture ruined the current small fiberglass shower's drywall ceiling when teenagers shared this bathroom. We hope to make some design changes that will help address the moisture issue even though the "teenagers" are now adults in homes of their own. I want to make sure that moisture damaged drywall is a thing of the past.

I suspect using Corian is not a common solution for a low shower ceiling, but I wonder why not? If the sheet is screwed into the framing in addition to silicon as an adhesive, can the screws be hidden on a thinner sheet by a fabricator? Will there be a problem where tile and Corian meet which might cause cracking?

I thought a Corian ceiling would just look like a drywall white ceiling which would make tile selection much easier. My tile setter wants to tile the ceiling, and he strongly advocates that the same tile should be used in the shower for the walls and ceiling. He was not a fan of using white tile on the ceiling and Azul porcelain slate tile for the walls even though the porcelain slate tiles had some areas of white in some of them. Because I do not want to feel like I am showering in a cave, I nixed my original choice of porcelain slate tile for the bathroom. My husband is not a fan of plain subway tiles...I am at a loss for what tile to use if we tile the walls and ceiling following the recommendations of the tile setter.

I assume a Corian ceiling will be more expensive than a ceiling of under $5.00 square foot tile, but I could not find any pricing for the thinner Corian material to confirm that assumption. I am stumped! Does anyone have tiled shower ceiling pictures to share and some advice?

Comments (11)