SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilikepie20

Someone screwed up... (Surveyor issues)

Megan Lopez
9 years ago

Hi there, first time posting here. My husband and I are building a house in the Bay Area -- I know this type of project isn't for the feint of heart, but I feel like we are off to a rocky start and I'm freaking out. So, here's the problem--

First step was to get a surveyor out here and the designer planned the house accordingly. We took the garage pretty much as far as we could to line up with the required setbacks.

Now we are finally starting, and they are laying out the foundation and from our measurements, we are 18" past beyond the setback. They measured and remeasured. We checked the site plans from the surveyor and on paper, everything is good. But in the field--nope. We are going to have the surveyor come out and explain what the heck is going on, but all I'm seeing is house shrinkage, and structural re-calcs, and re-design of roofing plans, and $$$!

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? Can I make the surveyor pay for all this?? (Just kidding....well, not really;)...). Is this as big of a deal as it seems?

Comments (24)