SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Major Buyer's Remorse: I Really Screwed Up

Rudebekia
9 years ago

Looking for any stories or advice that may help me get out from what's become an anxiety-ridden situation. At age 58 and alone I moved from a condo back to a single family home--5 months ago. I had thoroughly enjoyed working on old houses, bit by bit, in the past. This one is different. Yes, I had an inspection and got a pretty good price, but somehow didn't process fully the $$$, time, and energy needed to fix it up. I simply no longer have the energy and will I thought I had. Completely my fault. I wanted to start strong, using my savings, and within the first month started a complete kitchen gut, upgraded electric, new heating plant, carpet torn up and floors refinished, walls patched, etc, etc. A planned $35,000 kitchen is turning into $50,000 due to uncovered problems like major plumbing issues and the unforeseen need for a new floor. The other upgrades have cost me at least another $40,000. by now. And there's much more to do to make this place satisfactory (to me). I'm overwhelmed, worried, can't sleep, nearly sick with dread. I've not had one peaceful moment here yet and have come to despise the place. I realize that the house is not at all friendly to growing old.I have learned a whole lot about myself over the last few months. But what an expensive lesson this will be.

I am completely berating myself. It was a total mistake and I am the only one to blame. Right now I'm just holding on another month or so until the kitchen remodel is done. Then I think I just have to cut my losses (they will be major) and move back to a condo--an inexpensive one so as to minimize my loss.

I am heartsick over this whole miserable affair. If anyone has advice to share I am open to it. I met with a realtor I trust this morning (not the one who sold me the house) and she sounded like I'm not by any means the only one in the world that this has happened to. Yet I feel that I am. I feel like a complete idiot.

Comments (47)