SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

at a loss on good ground cover...

bgaviator
9 years ago

I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of my steep hill. The hill is on the north/northeast side of my house.....i never paid too much attention to how much sun it got last summer, so that I'm not quite sure about that. I know it hardly gets any sun right now in the winter.

Every time I think I find a ground cover that will work, I read something about it that stops me in my tracks. Here's what I would ideally like:

1. Weed suppression (hill is too steep to regulary weed)
2. Good for erosion control
3. Non-invasive! (this is the part that seems to make me change my mind about most ground covers)
4. Interesting most of the summer/fall.....something that blooms the entire growing season would be great, but not an absolute must.

Mixed into the hill are Roses off to the far side, random day lilies, and at the top Liriope ( I think the Spicata kind)

Here are some of the plants I considered, but now I'm not sure about....

Creeping Phlox.....but I'm not sure they would get enough sun, and I don't like the fact they don't bloom that long. I would like something more showy all year if possible.

Asian Jasmine....but worried about invasivness

Periwinkle....once again, invasivness.....I don't want it getting into my yard at the bottom of my hill and getting out of control.

Here's a photo of what I'm dealing with. Looking up the hill from the bottom. Hill is at the Northeast corner of the property.
{{gwi:50498}}

thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored