SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mysocalledlife

cacti dying...can they be saved?

mysocalledlife
9 years ago

Hi,

I've had these cacti for about 10 months now and things are not going well. I overwatered them (some stupid website told me to water them once a week) and now at least one of them is dying.

The one that is dying originally had three stalks. One of them got sunburned during the summer and turned brown and dried up. The second stalk rotted from the bottom up and I had to cut it off. During that time I pulled out all the roots and soil and cut off any roots that were rotting. Then I put everything else back into the soil and didn't water it for a month.

However it seems that the remaining stalk is rotting now too and it's getting worse. I don't know what to do. Is it too late and I should just throw it away? Is it possible for it to recover on its own? This stalk does appear to be green underneath the brown stuff on the bottom (I poked it with a sewing needle earlier this week), whereas the other rotting stalk was brown on the inside when I cut it out. So I don't know if it's corking...but then there's also brown spots on the upper parts of the stalk as well. The brown spots look kind of "tough".

Now I thought the other two cacti I have were doing ok. But the second cactus, my barrel cactus, is turning brown from the bottom up. I don't know if this is a sign of rot or what is going on. It's not completely brown but more kind of a brownish tinge over the green skin, if that makes any sense. About a month ago I also took out the soil from this cactus to make sure the roots weren't rotting. They weren't but it did look like it was becoming a little root-bound.

Another problem is that I poked the barrel cactus with a sewing needle to make sure it was still alive/green inside a few weeks ago, and it turned into this gaping wound surrounded by brown stuff! (You can see it in the photo near the upper left) Is that bad or is that how a cactus normally responds to wounds? Is there anything I should do for that or is it going to get better on its own?

Do you guys think this barrel cactus is dying, and if so, what if anything can I do to save it?

I am just really upset over this...I thought cacti were easy to take care of. Thanks to anyone who responds, would really appreciate it.

This post was edited by mysocalledlife on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 23:26

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!