SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michigan_matt

Indoor Citrus Observations and Help

michigan_matt
9 years ago

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster :).

Here is my story. Hopefully it will help those of you out there with indoor citrus trouble. Forgive my spelling and grammar.

I have several 1 yr old citrus trees that I started from seed winter of 2013/14. They spent the summer outside and did well. I also bought a meyer lemon and a dwarf gold nugget mandarin from four winds in late july/Aug timeframe. I planted all of them in a version of the 5-1-1 mix. I would say mine was 4 parts pine bark fines, 1 part coconut husk chips, 1 part peat moss, and 1 peat perlite. I didn't add any lime which is a hint to where this story is going. Anyways they did quite well during the summer except for the occasional leaf roller. I watered them whenever it didn't rain for a little while (which wasn't very often as we had a cool and wet summer). I acclimated them to the shade during the month of September and then finally brought them indoors in late Sept. The meyer and seed started citrus I had under daylight CFL's in a grow box type set-up. The mandarin I had in south window with some daylight CFL's around it. I watererd the plants sparingly with rain water that I had stored from the summer. The plants began to show leaf drop which I figured would happen from reading the other posts. Anyways it continued to get worse into october and I wondered what was going on. I thought maybe it was a light issue so I bought a 400w hortilux eye MH bulb and 4'x4'x6' grow tent. Pretty nice step up for me I must say! I moved everything in and went on a 12 hr on/off cycle. Again the plants continued to loose leafs and didn't appear to be getting any better. I thought maybe it was an humidity issue as our house humidity is 35-40% so I added pans filled with water and sponges. This increased the humidity in the tent by 10 - 15%. Still the plants did not respond. In fact leaves that didn't fall off were noew turning white. Again I thought Nitrogen problem and upped my DG-FP dosage. I think I went from 5 mL/gal to 10 mL/gal so nothing crazy. No results. Ugh! Then I came across a pH vs nutrient uptake chart. I wondered if DG-FP was acidic and I figured my potting mix was acidic from the peat and pine bark. FYI my rain water had a pH~5.8-6.2 so I knew that watering with it wouldn't help buffer a low pH. I'm a chemist during the day so I began to question my DG-FP rain water fertilizer solution that I was using. Low and behold I measured a 5 mL/gal solution of it in rainwater (RW) and it had a pH of 4.1! If you do the full 10 mL/gal soln in RW it's 3.9! By now (Dec) my mandarin was looking the worst and actually had twig dieback going on. Lucky for me I use a pot that collects the runoff and measured the run off....pH~3.9!! I think I found my problem! Anyways I started to make and measure the pH of DG in tap water (TW) and DG in RW solutions to find out how to make a 5 mL solution with a pH of 6.2-6.4. What I came up with was 5 mL DG in 1/3 gal TW + 2/3 gallon RW. FYI my tap water has a pH~8.2. I then took my plants and thoroughly flushed them with tap water. I then fertilized them with my new DG-FP correct pH solution. I also placed a ultrasonic fogger and mini fan into my grow tent and ran it when my light was on. Humidity with it on ranges from 55% (light on) - 75% (nightime). Anyways this combination of humidity and correct pH instantly perked up my trees. I saw slight improvement in leave color but mostly what happened was a bunch of new leaf buds and even a few flower buds on my meyer and dwarf mandarin. This correction was only about 10 days ago!

Anyways for those of you struggling out there with citrus in a 5-1-1 mix who are using DG-FP you may want to check the pH of your potting mix and the pH of you fertilizer solution. If you didn't use lime when you made your mix I almost guarantee you have low pH problems if you are watering with DG-FP in rain water/distilled water/RO water.

Comments (37)