SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bedo18

Help with indoor citrus tree

Megan
7 years ago

Hi all, I have an indoor citrus tree that was started from seed over 30 years ago. My mother in law can't remember if it's orange or grapefruit; either way, the thing is not the most attractive or healthy but has managed to stay alive all this time. My husband, who is generally not in the least bit sentimental, won't let me get rid of it, so I'm looking for some help getting it to look a little less sad. It's never flowered so I don't have high expectations, I'd just like it to at least be a little more filled out.

Its about 5.5ft tall and in a 12" diameter pot. It lives in our south-facing kitchen next to the garden doors, so it gets about as much sunlight as any plant would get in our house. We live in the interior of BC, Canada, USDA zone 5, but summers are very dry and can get up to 40C/100F. I like the idea of having it outside over the summer but it hasn't been outside in years. It's basically had no love except for water in the past 10+ years.

So I guess my questions are:

1. What can I do right now to help it thrive? (Repotting, fertilizing, etc)

2. What can I do in the longer term to help it thrive? (Fertilization schedule, pruning, etc)

2. What temperatures/conditions would be safe to put it outside?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)