SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angekapa

Clone/reproduce the same citrus tree & help with sad Citrus tree

Andrew K
7 years ago

Hi all, I have an orange tree that's about 20 years old and its looking pretty sad at the moment. The fruit it produces is one of the best oranges I've ever tasted however not sure what type of orange tree it is so I would like to reproduce it. After some research my original plan was to take a few cuttings in the morning, pot it, and see what happens. Then after further research I came across grafting and budding, I also read that a citrus tree needs to be grafted/budded for the tree to produce any fruit so right now I'm not sure what to do. I like the idea or grafting onto a root stock however what is the best root stock and where do I buy them? When is the best time to-attempt this, I'm in Melbourne so its winter and was planning to do it this weekend? Any help or comments would help.

Also in regards to my 20 year old orange tree, its in bad shape but still producing fruit. Last year I did some pruning however didn't do it right and cut the canopy off the tree and ever since then its not looking good. I've started to fertilise it but still not looking great. My question here is should I remove all the fruit give it a light prune or wait till after winter and give it a prune?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022