SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limeinqueens

Big Leaves at the top of young Lime Tree

limeinqueens
9 years ago

Howdy all! My lime tree arrived in late october from Logee's Its hanging in a window with southwest exposure (~4.5 hours when sunny) and a supplemental daylight spectrum CFL 9W, sitting ~4-6 inches from the plant which runs another 5 hours daily.

Starting in December (when I began to use Foliage pro 1/2 tsp/gal) it put on some new leaves. Initially, the new leaves were all compact and "matched" for lack of a better term the leaves that were already on the plant. I * thought* this indicated that light levels were good.

Right around Christmas the plant threw up a big shoot from the top and 5 new leaves. Obviously I was excited becase limes flower from new growth, right? :) However, these leaves grew rapidly, got HUGE and they are are also more textured or "rumpled" and a lighter shade of green.

The large leaves don't block the light because the CFL is pointed sideways at the middle of the plant not shining down from above, and a lot of the natural sunlight is fairly crosswise since I'm on the 3rd floor.

Are the big leaves something to worry about? Is my plant not getting enough light after all? why did the other leaves match and these don't??? Oh the mysteries of lime ownership. :) This pic shows the top leaves. More pics to follow

Comments (9)