SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

the science of freeze/cold tolerance

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

I get some basics, but hoping some true plant nerds can help.

Plants basically survive freezing either by allowing a certain level of supercooling (where lack of nuclei keep intracellular water unfrozen to some point below freezing) or intracellular dehydration.

However, isn't the presence of dissolved solutes also part of this?

Tomato plants seem to freeze basically as long as the stem and leaf tissue gets to anything below 32 degrees F and die immediately.

Other plants will show damage if they do freeze, but won't actually freeze until some point well below the freezing point - making me think there is something either involving supercooling or dissolved solutes in the water within the cells, or a combination of both at work here.

However, many herbaceous plants (both annual and perennial) and the leaves of trees will survive to some temperature below freezing, even if the leaves themselves appear frozen at some point. This means freezing has occurred, but somehow did not damage them. I've seen Aesculus in spring in leaf, on a 20 degree morning wher the leaves were undeniably frozen, hard, dark in color, etc, yet when they thawed they appeared fine and with no damage. However, a few degrees colder would have killed them.

So for some plants, it appears there is a temperature at which they will freeze, but survive, and a yet lower temp at which the tissues will die, or at least the leaf tissue of hardy woody plants, but the wood and buds survive much lower temperatures yet.

Another example - recalcitrant seeds of trees like Quercus and Aesculus. If you throw live acorns in the freezer (temps around 0F/-18C), they won't sprout as they'll be dead. This is true even of species that can survive temps of -40F as dormant plants like Q. alba and Q. macrocarpa.

However, I've stored white oak acorns in thin ziploc bags in the bottom of my fridge, where temps range from about 27F to 33F and they've sprouted with 80%+ success 5 months later. It appears temperatures of around -3C/26F don't hurt them at all, but much colder than that does. The surface of the acorns has appeared frosty and frozen but it appears the cotyledons do not freeze at those temps.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Comments (11)