SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phalanx_viridis

plumeria cold tolerance worries

phalanx_viridis
10 years ago

Hello to all of my friends bitten by the plumeria praxis bug..I am fairly new to plumeria and I have scoured the net and this forum endlessly looking for reassuring facts and opinions about cold tolerance of plumeria.

I have found a lot of valuable info...but when it comes to my zone (9a) and overwintering outside, the answers are a bit....muddy, pardon the pun. Unfortunately, as much 'good' info there is out there, just as much misinformation exists.

I am so grateful to have this forum as a resource and I have used it extensively for nearly 5 years before joining/posting (this is my first) so I want to pose my question here.

I have 7 plumies (2-4 yr olds) that I just recently transplanted to Al's gritty mix (love the science/rationale behind this man), and because of our unusually warm winter here in SoCal (70-80s during the day) I have been moving my specimens outside in the am and back in after sunset...yes my neighbors give me inquisitive looks, but that's my norm.

My (succinct) question is this: overnight temps dip to low 40s at night but only get there and stay for a few hours at most, currently. A majority of the overnight temps are in the 50s. My closest wunderground.com station (temp reference) is pretty close to my home, and I have found it to be pretty accurate to my property. I am wondering if my guys will be okay outside overnight if I keep them up against the westside of my house (stucco), under the eaves as a nanoclimate. I don't have any varieties that have been noted to be extra cold snobby (like singapores etc.) but I have a few rainbows and a miniature varietal. Will they be okay overnight or should I continue to garage them at night?

I know you all will understand my woes, but I do not want to lose any after all the work and research I have put in. These are my babies... I have found most of the questions/answers regarding overwintering plumeria to be very subjective to each grower's specific situation, and thus, here is mine.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH