SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stlgal_gw

Chestnuts growing in my kitchen pots, now I wonder what they are

stlgal
9 years ago

While we were hiking in the Carmel Valley (Monterey CA), there were places on the trail that were littered with germinating chestnuts. I took half a dozen home and have them growing in a kitchen pot. The nuts are 2+ inches in diameter and three of the six are putting out nice top growth, pretty branches with five oblong leaves. In my internet searches I see that typically the EuropeanXJapanese hybrids are planted in CA and that this variety is reasonably resistant to blight. I also see that they prefer a sandy, acidic soil.

We are in the St. Louis suburbs, zone 6a-b (given global warming, it does keep changing--we were in 5b a generation ago). Our soil tends towards neutral to alkaline and heavy clay before amendment. Am I just setting myself up for heartbreak thinking about hardening these little trees off in late spring and putting them in a well amended hole in a sunny spot where they can be tended by the watering system along the lot line? Can anyone guess what variety they may be--in my internet search, I suspected they might they be Colossals..I can try to take a picture and post tomorrow.

Comments (11)