SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Lauren

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

Sometimes I feel as if roses in CA just automatically get 2-3 times larger than stated on all sorts of places, including HMF. Lauren is a really lovely polyantha introduced by Kim Rupert. HMF and Rogue Valley Roses both say it's max height is 2 feet tall.

In my garden, it immediately sprang up to 4feet, and later got taller. Then, I read Kim's description of it on HMF, and he says that the one in his garden is also 4-5 feet tall. Fine, but why do the sources of info say it is 1-2 feet tall? These are US sources, not from the UK (where I always discount the "height" info).

Just a bit frustrating, as I planted it in a bed with six very short roses all around a 36" rose tree. The other 5 are still very short, but Lauren decided to compete with the rose tree, I guess.

Kim, if you read this, perhaps you can give me some advice - if I prune it way down will it bloom as a smaller plant, or will it just take that as a challenge to see how fast it can retain its preferred height?

Don't get me wrong - this is a great rose - it is a lovely color of purple, and blooms its head off all Spring and Summer and Fall. Sigh. Sometimes I feel as if any rose I plant in my garden will immediately decide it is Jack's bean stalk.

Jackie

Comments (11)