SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

It's that time of year again - a plea

rosefolly
9 years ago

Time for pruning roses? Well, yes, it is here in California, and I will be busy out in the garden all this month. Not so much for those of us living in colder climates!

But it is also the time for reflection and new beginnings. The start of the new year is a good marker for remembering to support those organizations that support my efforts and the things that I value. I urge us all to think what enhances our gardening life, and make a contribution to, or renew paid membership in, organizations that may be struggling to do what they do for us all.

I begin each year with a contribution to The Friends of Vintage Roses, working to preserve a world class collection of rare roses; next Help Me Find Roses, without which looking up a rose would be so much more difficult a chore; go on to Heritage Rose Foundation, with its wonderful publication Rosa Mundi; and finally my regional Heritage Roses Group. It makes me proud and happy to count myself among the members of these fine organizations.

Just think, the last time old roses went out of the limelight they were preserved in old cemeteries, abandoned gardens, and unused lots. It's very unlikely that they will find a similar haven in the future. These organizations may be the best hope we have that the roses we love will survive for future generations to discover.

Won't you take a moment to think about what organizations are important and helpful to you in your gardening of old roses?

Rosefolly

Comments (5)