SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Frustration!

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

I have tried the last two growing seasons to have brussels sprouts. Didn't work for one reason or another. This year, I started them indoors and waited until they were almost too large to transplant - in August; with the idea that they would be ready in early November. Yum!

Wrong! Heavy frost for several nights took care of that in October. Frustration. I just left the plants in the ground to see what might happen. More freezing temperatures for several days at a time well into November. Nuttin' happening.

For the past several days, we actually stayed above freezing day and night! Amazing. I just took out scraps to the compost bin and glanced at the previously ignored plants. To my surprise, most of the leaves had been chewed off. And those leaves were no where to be seen. Darned raccoon again.

That animal ate many of my tomatoes, even though I put some fence around them. It even left some scat for me as a trade-off! Frustration.

Ya gotta understand the my entire back yard has a 6 foot privacy fence and I am next to farm land. No squirrels live around here. I have set traps to take care of the rabbits that work they way into my yard. It has to be a raccoon!

It wasn't bad enough to work over my crops in the regular growing season, it has to come back to add insult by dining on my sick brussels sprouts!

I pulled them all and tossed them over the fence. Now we'll see what that varmint wants to do in my yard.

This summer, that darned animal came up on my deck, got onto the dining table and pushed "Fern" the fern onto the deck breaking the pot. She has pouted ever since! We have lived here more than nine years and this is the first year that I have had this kind of challenge - and frustration!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions