SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heatherjwalter

sagging leaves, mites and mold

heatherjwalter
9 years ago

I have two house plants suffering the same affliction, flaccid leaves. The first is a fiddle leaf ficus that sits in a sunny, south facing window. The stems and trunk do seem a little dried out. I water it once weekly and when I do, the soil seems to suck up the water fairly well. I think the planter to about 24", well drained. I clean the leaves every 3-4 weeks and get a fair amount of dust off when I do. It's been in the same spot since I bought it about 6 months ago. What am I doing wrong? How much water should I give it (i.e: 1 cup, 2 cups) and how often? Should I try a less sunny location?
The second house plant I think is a coleus, but please confirm. I have two, purchased at the same time. Both I water once to twice a week and both sit sunny south facing window. The first has a case of the blues and the other has fantastic, perky, bright leaves. (see photo). What could I be doing wrong to one at not the other? How much sun light is too much sun light for an indoor location?
In other news, my plants are under attack. Big fluffy mounds of powdery mildew and some plants have more mites than leaves. It's serious and I've tried everything I can buy from a store. I've also tried using a splash of milk in the watering can. Part of the problem is that I hate to spray any solution in my home. Organic or otherwise, it smells awful and leaves a film on whatever is next to the plant.
So, what's the thing you've done that has been the most effective? Is there something I can add to my watering can? I'm also considering it might be an issue of grouping my plants too close together. How far of a distance should I have inbetween and is there really an issue of too many plants for one room? Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Comments (3)