SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moiraine_gw

Should I bother planting tomatoes?

moiraine_gw
9 years ago

I garden in a community garden plot that is just over 100 squared feet. Last summer was very humid for my area, and many times instead of rain we just got damp air. I had managed to plant about 4 rows of tomato plants, and they were doing brilliantly until they were hit with late blight, which was theorized to have spread up the US east coast from Hurricane Arthur. I properly disposed of all my plants (no compost bin), but I'm sure other people in my community garden did not.

I read that mild winters can help the spores survive. We do get a proper winter here, but with my limited space and the lack of proper disposal of other affected plants has me very worried about planting tomato plants this year. I know there isn't a guaranteed way to prevent it from happening again (though late blight is very rare for our area), and I don't want to waste my garden space if my tomato plants are just going to die as quickly as they did last year (without getting any tomatoes out of them, too).

So, do you think I should risk it? Do you think it'd be worth trying? Or do you think I should focus on other vegetable plants this upcoming season?

Comments (14)