SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cliffpruitt

My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help

Cliff Pruitt
9 years ago

This is really more of a conversational post. No real questions, I just wanted to share the end result of my winter project. Many people here have contributed to it in the form of helpful information and answers to questions, so "Thanks!"

Last spring I grew a few small pots of tomatoes and peppers. Almost as soon as I started them I wanted more space to grow for this year. For a few unrelated reasons, there is just one side of the house that is currently available for growing and that is the north side of the house. The house casts a shadow that covers the ground up to the fence for nearly the entire day, making shade a bit of a problem for a garden. So, here is my solution for this year's planting:

This past weekend I finished building a 2' X 8' container garden, raised on legs so that "ground level" is high enough to avoid the shadow of the house. It's filled with 5/1/1 mix. There is also a small upper bed (6" X 8') that I'll use for some herbs or maybe leafy things like lettuces. Three sides are permanent, but the front is attached using pins so that it can easily be removed should I ever want to rake out the mix to replace all or part of it.

{{gwi:2117846}}

I've left some additional vertical structure with the intent of adding onto it in the fall so that I can convert it to a cool weather "greenhouse" and back to open container in warmer weather.

The bottom of the container is corrugated plastic roofing material. I used it mainly because it's cheap and sturdy, but I figured that it might (conjecture) give me a tiny added benefit of directing the water to the drain holes and help avoid any kind of pooling if things aren't completely level. I've also laid some synthetic rope along the bottom of the container and out two of the drain holes to try to wick out any perched water. I'm not sure if it is necessary or if the way I've done it will be effective, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try it out.

{{gwi:2117847}}

As an added bonus, I used a little extra wood I had to make my 6 year old son his own 2' X 2' container garden as well.

{{gwi:2117848}}

This project has been in the works in some form or another (planning / buying / building) for about 10 months now. Last weekend was beautiful Florida weather, and the whole family had a great time hanging out outside and mixing batch after batch (after batch... after batch... after batch...) of potting mix to fill the garden. I'm really quite excited to have it done and ready to plant. Thanks so much to everyone here that answered questions and shared advice. It really was extremely helpful (especially the soil / water retention discussions!).

Here's hoping everyone has a great spring ahead of them!

Comments (9)