SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lifeontherivah

Starting with a clean slate

9 years ago

Looking forward to learning from all of you. After owning two homes where we hired a young, talented landscaper just starting out, as a one-man-with-relatives-and-friends-helping-him company, we are wanting to take on our new retirement home ourselves. My husband loves to work outside, takes great pride in the outside of our home, is great at lawn maintenance, is now retired and healthy and wants (and needs :-) a hobby.
Our two prior homes were beautifully landscaped but definitely over planted. It's frustrating to have that situation when I think of the money we spent on the materials and labor; we literally could have had 1/2-2/3 as much planted. We'd like to save money and enjoy the rewards of doing it ourselves, in a few stages this Spring, with labor from a few paid helpers ro move large things and do some of the digging, since we have an entire property to handle.
I will learn from all of you and hope you can give me some opinions when I post with newbie questions or thoughts. I am jealous of your expertise (as I am clueless). My mother is 83 and has had a green thumb throughout her life; was an environmentalist, composter and recycler WAY ahead of her time. I am going to bring her to NJ from VA to sit and give us her thoughts while Daddy smokes his pipe on the porch. He doesn't like to travel too much anymore, but she will love helping us. It's a family affair.

Comments (13)