SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
halocline

new member & bonsai soil

halocline
9 years ago

hi im new to this forum but have been reading it for about 4 months. I first came across it while researching a problem with a Fukien tea. I started growing bonsai in early spring 2014 & began researching bonsai soils in books, online ect. in the meantime I was buying a soil mix from a bonsai nursery near my house ( a good resource to have since there are only 2 in the entire Denver metro area & one is by appointment only.) the label on the bag said " ready to use no sifting required." after seeing poor performance with a few trees in this mix there was a lot of soil compaction & poor drainage. I decided to use a small metal mesh kitchen strainer to sift the unused mix I had left & there was ALOT of fine dust in it ( NO GOOD.) after sifting I took a good look at the mix & saw that it had at least 5 ingredients. the man at the nursery only mentioned that he used haydite instead of Akadama. the rest looked like lava rock, pine bark, pumice& something like Turface. I still didn't have much confidence in it so I was more determined than ever to make my own bonsai soil.

I did ALOT of research on this subject & of course there are COUNTLESS different ingredients people suggest for a good bonsai mix not to mention taking into account your location,tree species, environmental conditions etc. one day while doing some research I ended up back on the gardenweb. I somehow stumbbled across a post titled " Container soils - water movement & retention " by " tapla ". after I read about the gritty mix I thought it sounded simple enough & a good place to start as it turns out these 3 "simple " ingredients were very hard to come by in my neck of the woods. first off was the crushed granite which I found at a feed store in the form of poultry grit. Turface MVP was the 2nd item, it took me about 2 months but I finally found a distributor way out in northeast Denver so I got a 50lb bag for ten dollars just last week. now for the most elusive item... pine bark fines. I have looked high & low & nobody seems to have ever heard of such a thing. two days ago I was back here on the GW & found a post in reference to pine bark fines. the person said to look for a brand of pine bark MULCH that is not available in my area but they said it was 80-90% useable material ( 1/4 - 1/8 inch fines.) once again I was on the hunt, this time for pine bark MULCH & low and behold I found a sand & gravel distributor about 12 miles from my house that according to the pics on their website they have 3 different mulch's that might work, a medium & small pine bark mulch & something they called supreme or superior pine bark mulch i'm going to call today & inquire about partical size & maybe take a trip down there later this week.

when I finally get the pine bark all together I will have Turface MVP, crushed granite, pine bark fines, haydite & lava rock. don't know what i'll end up using maybe just fool around with the basic gritty mix & try to dial in the proper moisture retention. sorry this was such a long post it's my first one, thanks for reading. also I ordered proper sieves & if anyone has any advice on mixing bonsai soil I would love to hear it Thanks again.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor