SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

new member, soil question, bagworm tip

ilene_in_neok
17 years ago

Hello all, just found this site. Been lurking a bit. I'm just a backyard gardener who has a full-time day job so it's not like I'm any kind of an expert. But I'm 60 this year so I do have a few life experiences. I have a couple things to add and a question about soil PH, which I'll ask first, cause I didn't see it addressed:

I have clay soil, not the black gumbo kind that builds up on your shoes till ya look like Bozo, but still the kind that turns into "rocks" when it dries. I've put in raised beds and incorporated lots of composted material (wish I'd thought about the cardboard at the bottom of the bed, I fight the grass and weeds all the time), I keep two compost bins going. I work at a place that collects glass, plastic, paper & aluminum cans for recycling, so I'm really into getting all the good out of everything. But lately I've been reading about how OK soil is pretty acidic and I need to add lime or fireplace ashes to sweeten up the soil due to the added acidity of the compost. Last year's garden was really disappointing due to the drought, but the year before I was the envy of the neighborhood for my tomatoes. So I'm just curious if any of you have ever used fireplace ashes in your gardens and whether it made a difference? And can anyone direct me to where I can find a list of what plants like acid and what plants like more alkaline?

Also, ANTS! I live on the back of a park, and it's just full of anthills. Consequently, I have lots of ants in my yard. It's a real drag at weeding time. Been taking Windex out there and spraying them while I work. Doesn't make a dent in the population but kills the ones that get near me while I'm out there, at least. I don't like to use a lot of pesticides, etc. Someone mentioned corn meal. Anyone have luck with this?

For my comments, I saw someone having problems with bagworms, but after I signed up I couldn't find my way back there. I'd just like to say that Tanglefoot is a really good product for this. It comes in a spray and also in a tub. I can get the tub at Green Thumb here, and I hear they have the spray at some garden stores in Tulsa. The larvae in the bags turn into insects that lay their eggs in the ground around the tree. These hatch in early spring and climb up the trunk of the tree. If you spread Tanglefoot on the trunk of the tree, all the way around, they get caught in that and so ends the tale. Works for me.

I also saw several people asking for heirloom tomato seeds. There's a man in Okmulgee who calls himself "The Tomato Man". He was featured on KOTV a week or so ago. There's a link to their website on the KOTV website that lists varieties available. Also sells garlic and peppers and a few herbs. They don't sell seeds, or do any mail order, you have to go there. Plants are $2.50 each. I just made a trip down there on this cold and rainy Saturday and it was easy to get to, they had plenty of everything. If you buy 12 you get one free. I bought 24! I swear I'm not related to these people or anything. All their seed is open pollinated so you can save the seed, they even give you instructions on how to do that. They say the seed will keep for 10 years or more in the freezer. They give you lots of good advice if you ask.

I also have a cat that loves to dig in the fresh dirt. However, we hit upon laying a section of stockwire (heavy galvanized wire fencing in sections found at Atwood's or Lowe's)over the top of the raised beds. Because it sits upon the edges of the raised beds, it's not right down on the plants, so it doesn't disturb, the plants can grow up through the square spaces and if I can't reach through to weed and harvest, I can always pick it up a bit to reach under. By the time the plants are big enough to start growing through, they become the deterrent and often I can just carefully remove it at that time. HOWEVER, I do have to keep it on top of the strawberry bed all the time.

Speaking of strawberries, I bought a bunch of net-like curtains at yard sales (they call them "sheers", I think) and I use them to cover the bed when the berries are turning red to keep the birds out. Also have wrapped them around my fruit trees and pinned on in places with clothespins. My neighbors laugh at me, but I ate peaches and plums last year and they didn't! This year DH is trying hanging old CD's from the branches with fishing line. IF the freezes haven't killed all the fruit, that is.

This year, I'm growing tomatoes, peppers,sweet red onions, some summer squash & zucchini. I planted blueberry bushes in tubs and some potatoes out of my potato bin that rooted, in tubs. I've also put asparagus in one of the raised beds and I have strawberries in another. Have a few herbs in an herb/flower garden, but it's gone pretty much to weeds.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor