What is the scariest book you've ever read?
20 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (104)
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
Related Discussions
First book you ever read?
Comments (59)Can't remember either, but I started reading when I was 4 and never stopped! I read tons of books including all the older kids classics.... Horse stories were my favorites. I read all the Black Stallion (and related books), Misty of Chincoteague, Seabiscuit, and many others. And dog books, Call of the Wild, Old Yeller, and so on. I read the Nancy Drew books, the Hardy boys books, the Trixie Beldon books, Little Women, Litle Men, Eight Cousins, the Little house books... and then I read a lot of books too old for me. Books that belonged to my grandmother (who had been a teacher) and books that my mom had bought from some book club long before (not sure why as she was NOT a reader). I love reading. It's just a shame it gets harder to read as the eyes get older... even with my trifocal lenses....See MoreWhats the worst book youve ever read? and why?
Comments (52)The movie 'Love Story' is in my top ten bad movies. If you have a taste for really bad movies, it is very, very funny. Has anyone read 'The Horse Whisperer'? It would be a close candidate for worst book - right up there with 'Bridges of Madison County'. It starts off as a story about how to train horses, then morphs into a really sentimental and very sticky love story. I worked at a small town library when Bridges was popular. The waiting list for it was several hundred people long, most of them women. For many, reading it seemed almost a life changing experience. Quite often, the books that I have found excrutiatingly bad are bestsellers. But I've become more sophisticated in my old age. I don't even open books like 'The Davinci Code' anymore and when people recommend such books, I just smile politely. During the time I worked at the library, John Grisham and Danielle Steele always headed the bestsellers' list. They seemed to release new books about every week and a half then. Danielle Steele was very bad, but not bad enough to qualify for the worst book award. I did learn a very simple rule for judging mysteries by the cover while at the library. First, read the first page of the book. If there is a spelling or grammatical error there, save your eyes. It won't get any better. If there is egregious, exploitative sexism on the first page, save your time. Then glance at the back cover. If the author is holding a cat or cats, put the book down and walk away. In the days that I read science fiction and fantasy, I learned to eschew any book that had a first line something like "Grachilimuki, from the planet Fvrin, was no ordinary spaceman." Having to make up stupid words just showed a paucity of imagination....See MoreEver read different editions/translations of the same book?
Comments (10)I mostly compare translations with the originals and sometimes find fault, but as I have a degree in translation studies I may be able to shed some light on the subject from that point of view. Translators have to make lots of choices when they start a translation, beginning with how the client - with literary works it's usually a publisher - wants the text translated. Before a translation is made, decisions have to be made about the target audience and what kind of style suits them best. You may want to get the flavour of the grammar and the style across, in which case it will probably feel very foreign and not very fluid, you might want to stress readability over absolute correctness or vice versa, or you might even want to localise it to the extent of making the story happen locally (like children's book translations sometimes do). If you get it wrong, or someone outside the target audience, who has different expectations, then reads the translation, they might not be happy with it, even if the target audience loves it. With the Laclos translation you mention, the publisher might, for instance, have requested that the text be localised so that it would feel more British, or the translator might even have had orders to modernise the language, because I think at least 'dotty' is a fairly new usage. It is interesting that both examples you cite are colloquial usages, because slang and colloquialisms can be extremely hard to get across in translations so that they have the same effect as they did in the original. The age of the translation matters as well. A contemporary translation of a classic will inevitably feel dated in a way that a modern translation will not, even if the modern translator has taken care to use language that reflects the era of the original. And of course it must be said that some translators are better than others at making their translations readable and convincing to the reader. Two translators can, stylistically speaking, produce translations that are adequate to the purpose or equivalent in effect to the original, that yet read like two different authors have rendered the same story. This is no coincidence, because good literary translations are works of art (this applies especially to verse translations, but also to prose). A translator can be technically very good, but unless they also have at least a spark of artistic writing ability, they will not produce translations that satisfy the reader like an original work of literature does. There is an interesting discussion of this sort of thing in chapter 6 of Umberto Eco's Mouse or Rat? Translation as negotiation. He picks up a discussion by another linguist and takes it a bit further in discussing the relative merits of several different translations of Dante's Inferno. Of course, translators of poetry face even bigger challenges than translators of prose, and sometimes the most accurate translation of a poem is the one that abandons the original......See MoreBest Books You've Read in 2007
Comments (45)I didn't make it to my personal goal of 200 books, but I did manage to read/listen to 189 books (even if many of them were re-reads). For my top 10 list, I am only including books that were new reads during 2007. In no particular order: Fiction Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear Deephaven & Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen Invisible Lives by Anjali Banerjee Nonfiction (only had 4 that actually counted) Murder in the Adirondacks by Craig Grandon Sarah Orne Jewett (a biography) by Paula Blanchard The Medicine Wheel Garden by E. Barrie Kavasch The Creative Home Herbal by Susan Bellsinger & Tina Marie Wilcox Okay, I said I wasn't going to list any re-reads, but here are my top 5 favorite re-reads from 2007 The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Beauty by Robin McKinley Persuasion by Jane Austen Farewell I'm Bound to Leave You by Fred Chappell...See More- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESThe Dumbest Decorating Decisions I’ve Ever Made
Caution: Do not try these at home
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
CONTAINER GARDENSPatio-Perfect Berry Bushes Like You’ve Never Seen
Small enough for pots but offering abundant fruit, these remarkable bred berries are a boon for gardeners short on space
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
DIY PROJECTS12 Signs You've Caught the DIY Bug
Been making inventive things from scratch? Repurposing salvaged pieces creatively? It may be more serious than you think
Full Story
MOTHER’S DAYWhat We've Learned From Mom About Home
Share cherished memories as Houzzers recall the special traits, insights and habits of their mothers
Full Story
BEDROOMSNew This Week: 3 Bed, Nightstand and Wall Combos You’ve Got to Try
Whether you prefer moody, minimalist or sunny, these 3 bedrooms uploaded to Houzz recently are exercises in stylish harmony
Full Story
SALVAGEBike-Chain Chandeliers You've Got to See
Take a video ride with us to see how an artist creates amazing lighting fixtures solely from bike parts
Full StorySponsored

annpanagain