SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Need help with 9th grade reading list

jessyf
16 years ago

Hi folks

My son is taking a 'block' English/History class structure. One complements the other, the writing is supposed to tie into history, etc. He is required to read one book per semester. I don't like the teachers' selections and I'd like your advice. I looked through his history book - 'Modern World History - Patterns of Interaction' ISBN 9780618557158. The book is all over the place in terms of subject matter, but the main units are: Unit 1: Beginnings of the Modern World 1300-1800 Unit 2: Absolutism to Revolution 1500-1900 Unit 3: Industrialism and the Race for Empire 1700-1914 Unit 4: The World at War 1900-1945 Unit 5: Perspectives on the Present 1945-Present.

The teacher has listed:

Bell, Out of This Furnace

Cervantes, Don Quixote

Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Defoe, Robinson Caruso

Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Dickens, Hard Times

Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Homer, Iliad or Odyssey

Hugo, Les Miserables

Orczy, The Scarlet Pimpernel

Pyle, The Story of King Arthur and His Knights

Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Sinclair, The Jungle

Virgil, The Aeneid

Woolf, Orlando

History book of your choice, with approval

I feel like these books were picked for their heft and not necessarily content, AND the range is strange and narrow. FWIW, he picked Monte Cristo for this past project, but the ABRIDGED version was 500 pages! The final project was designing a book cover with minimal analysis. Oh boy.

I'd rather he read something shorter and more substantial. Since the History course concentrates on 'Patterns of Interaction', the two books that come to mind for me are Things Fall Apart and One Hundred Years of Solitude since the next section looks like it will be Nationalist and Industrial revolutions. He is interested in Che Guevara....any literature out there? Of course I'd love him to do my favorite 'Beowulf' but its hard for a 9th grader to pin down 'three themes' that are required from that epic (unless I get him to read that and 'Grendel', but I digress).

Any other suggestions?

Comments (11)