SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Rome--books about it or set there

ginny12
17 years ago

I am going to Rome for two weeks next spring. As I like to immerse myself in books about a place before I go there, to learn as much as possible, I am looking for books about Rome. They can be fiction or non-fiction--really anything at all. Guidebooks, memoirs, even mysteries set there.

A particular interest would be memoirs of Americans or British people who lived in Rome. There were many in the 19c, and now too I suppose. Any suggestions gladly welcomed.

Comments (53)

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nope. I clicked on the link, searched all around the website and did not see the list anywhere that you have very kindly posted above. That was a lot of trouble for you and I thank you very much! The list is full of interesting suggestions--thanks.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chris, I think I see what happened tho I can't explain it. I had clicked on the link in my email box and got Rick Steves' website for his tours. When I just now clicked on the link in Reader's Paradise, I got the list you just posted. Don't have the computer skills to explain why.

• Related Discussions

Please tell me about your sous vide set up

Q

Comments (21)
    FOAS, the the STC 1000 is not a PID controller. I think it is just a digital thermostatic controlled relay. It can control a heater and a refrigerator at the same time and it has some delay logic in turning the heater/refrigerator on/off. For the heater, I use a stove heating element or a domestic hot water heating element. They are very cheap and they last a long time. In general, they are high wattage/220v heaters (2,000W to 4,000W). However, you can run them at 110V and the wattages become about 1/4. Angie, yeas the Cal 9300 is expensive and they don't even give you the thermocouple sensor with it. I like the cheap PIDs because they have dual displays, set themperature and real time temperature. I am very impressed that you have done Op-amp work. Programing op-amps require real electronic know-how. Anyone else who may be reading this thread, FYI, a sous vide cooker cannot make crepes. LOL! dcarch
    ...See More

Anyone know about HD / 4K TV sets?

Q

Comments (13)
    debo- Even though I responded to you above, I'm not an expert on these sets since I have only had my own 4K set for 6 weeks. However, I just don't think that what is happening with your set is a normal experience or acceptable. I will admit that I spent some amount of time fiddling with my new set until I was satisfied with the color and appearance of the image (or at least found the compromise that was best for me when switching from channel to channel). Previously, I had had a Panasonic plasma screen for 10 years, and it took a little while to adjust to viewing the new LED/LCD screen because the different technologies present color palettes in different ways. I wish you luck and hope you get this worked out. I will point out that if you want to try another set, with no risk, Costco has a 90 day, money back guarantee with their electronic goods. If you tried another tv, it would tell you whether the problem was with the set you just bought, or if there is something unique to your situation with the way the signal is delivered and/or the box communicates with these new types of tvs. Good luck, and please post back if you make any progress. P.S.: I'm curious to know what the Verizon rep did to insure that your box and signal were "spot on." Maybe that is true because this problem just arose when you tried out the new set, but that still wouldn't entirely reassure me that the signal-tv match was perfect. And I have had problems in the past that needed to be addressed with my cable that couldn't be detected by someone sitting in an office. Also, being told that the picture would be "blurry" for normal vs. hi-def programs sounds like the rep was not really listening to you. Last question: what kind of cable are you using between the box and the set? Do you have a new HDMI cable that you know is in good shape?
    ...See More

Question about pollination/fruit set/weather

Q

Comments (1)
    I wouldn't worry,..you had several days good weather for pollination,..and usually the rain doesn't stay around for too long and hopefully some more pollination takes place...without freezing! I've heard it's going to get cold again next week..near 0 !!
    ...See More

Anybody know anything about this set at all?

Q

Comments (8)
    Do the leaves slide under the main part of the table top? If so it's a 'draw leaf" table. BIG chunky things on the legs are very characteristic of the 1920s and early 1930s ... the "Baronial" fake Jacobean look. Yours seem to have cross-bred with something more modern because the leg lumps aren't carved and melon-shaped , but are blocks and have the sleekly carved grooves more common to 1930s Art Deco inspired pieces. And the slats are modernistic but the carving is traditional. NOTE: It's common for a manufacturer to update a line of furniture by changing details to be "on trend" instead of re-tooling for all new models, so the nice little table and chair set gets updated legs and splats My best guess - 1930s dining set. And it's CUTE!
    ...See More
  • cindydavid4
    17 years ago

I,Claudius the TV series is incredible. I was still remembering bits of info from it when we were on our trip to Rome, and when we returned we watched the entire series again with new eyes. Definitely recommended (I was never able to make it through the book, not sure why)

>Travelers' Tales: Italy - Ann Calcagno

Took this on our trip; quite good (most of the ones in this series are)

• burntpage
    17 years ago

Although I don't watch TV I did rent the series "ROME" and found myself deeply immersed, not just in the decent storyline, but the Characters and Scenery as well.
    If youÂre looking for an account of the BCE period, this will give you some visual as well.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

I just got back from Italy yesterday myself, having spent a week of my trip in Rome. If you have the time, consider taking a day trip out to Ostia Antica, the ancient port of Rome. This vast archeological complex gives you the feeling of daily life in ancient Rome in a different way than do the ruins in the city of Rome itself.

Rosefolly

• venusia_
    17 years ago

Robert Harris (of Pompeii fame) just came out with a new book called Imperium.

This summer I read Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland and The Colosseum by Keith Hopkins and Mary Beard, which is THE book to read if you are planning to tour it.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Ditto on Ostia Antica. I found it more interesting than Pompeii (which I loved) and much less touristy

If you are a history buff, also visit Tarquina, which is where several tombs of the Estruscans (pre Roman) were located. You can go into the tombs and see the incredible murals inside, and marvel at how present day some of those 2500 year old pictures seem.

Oh, my husband and I kept seeing the adverstisments for Rome, but never saw any local listing. Was it just on HBO? and is it available on DVD?

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What a lot of good suggestions. Thank you, thank you. We are definitely going to Pompeii as a day trip. How far are Ostia Antica and Tarquinia from Rome by public transportation? We will not have a car.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

If you start NOW, you can read Colleen McCullough's whole series on Rome. It is terrific--had me really pulling for Julius Caesar to live at the end.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Ostia is about a 30 min train ride from town by metro. Tarquina is farther north, but easily visited by train (btw, there are several other towns of interest around Tarquina, and one is particular has a magnificent Estrustcan Museum. Lemme see if I can find which one)

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

We took a half-day bus tour to Ostia Antica, which meant we had a guide. We did the same to go to Hadrian's Villa and the Tivoli Fountains (another wonderful thing to see).

Rosefolly

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

We avoid tours unless we have no choice. We much rather explore on our own, and the fun thing about Ostia was that we could; we got into nooks and crannys I don't think others could see.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

Many people dislike tours. For the most part I have had good luck with them, courteous, knowledgeable guides who pointed out things I would have missed on my own, and time enough to wander off when I wanted to. They have also allowed me to get places I would not have seen on my own, since I am reluctant to drive in some areas. In Rome for example, crossing the street seemed a risky activity!

On the other hand, I have certainly heard enough stories of bad tours to make me understand the other point of view.

Rosefolly

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rosefolly, I have to ask. Any tours or tour guides of Rome and nearby environs you'd recommend?

• veer
    17 years ago

Ginny, not a book but some suggestions for visiting Rome in today's 'Sunday Times' here in the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Things to see in Rome.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot, Vee. Great article and great tips. I am printing it this minute.

One problem I have had in planning this trip is that tours for first-time visitors are planned around an hour here and an hour there--and that's not how I want to see anything. Too superficial and rushed for my tastes. More in-depth tours are for people who have been there several times and have seen the main sights already.

There doesn't seem to be a first-timer's tour for someone who wants to spend an entire day at the Vatican Museum, for example, which is little enough. So I'm planning it myself and am more than a bit nervous about it--different language, customs etc. Hence the need for as much reading as possible.

• mummsie
    17 years ago

Ginny, are you familiar with SLOWTRAVEL site?
    It is very reputable and contains a wealth of information on 'taking your time' travel, with an unapologetic focus on Italy.

Re Books...This summer I read A Walk In Ancient Rome by John Cullen, a 'travelogue' of ancient Rome juxtaposed with the modern cityscape. Clever and easy to follow.

On my TBR, a collection of short stories set in Rome written by Canadian expat, Megan Williams, titled Saving Rome.

Basilica: The Splendor and the Scandal: Building St. Peter's by R. A. Scotti

Enjoy your planning!

Here is a link that might be useful: SLOWTRAVEL

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>In Rome for example, crossing the street seemed a risky activity!

Hee, really!

>More in-depth tours are for people who have been there several times and have seen the main sights already.

No, they really aren't. If you are a reader, and know some history, and are eager to learn, these are wonderful. The hour long ones I don't think teach you anything, and are nothing but rushed (some exceptions - guides in specific churches or sites)

While I don't like group tours, I do appreciate good guides. When we are in a new city we check with the tourist info place for local guides/tours. We went on one that was an underground tour - took us exploring under two churches to see the sites of the church it was built on, the Roman streets under that, and the Mitrah temple near by. Absolutely fascinating (and of course I can't remember which churchs - but Rome is filled with these gems)

Another local tour, not Rome, that we absolutely adored was in near Hadrian's wall. No way for us to see it on our own without a tour. We found a small group tour run by a delightful couple, professors from a nearby college, who took us on an all day excursion to see the forts and the wall. Absolutely splendid experience, and it didn't cost all that much!

BTW, I do understand the need and desire for group tours and don't put anyone down for enjoying them. They are just not our cup of tea. And I admit sometimes I've been someplace where a tour guide was speaking, and got interested enough to easedrop :)

I agree about Slowtravel - when we were planning our trip to France we started using it (then we didn't go) but its still bookmarked for when we do!

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, thanks, I recently discovered the slowtravel site thru several references on tripadvisor.com, also a useful source of info for travel. Slowtravel looked like a site for people intending to rent and stay for long periods but I must not have looked too carefully. I bookmarked it and will go back and study it further.

Ah, Hadrian's Wall. Someday, I hope. I would love to do a tour of Roman Britain. I went to Bath in June and spent a good long time at the Roman baths and it was absolutely riveting. They've done an excellent job of providing information and interpretation there. And I brought home some good books on the subject.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

I haven't had any experience with them but have read about Scavi walking tours in Rome that people have really liked. Google gives a lot of hits on them.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

Ginny the language will not be a problem for you. Almost everyone in Rome who interacts with tourists speaks reasonable English. My husband took a couple semesters of Italian and practiced daily with language CDs for months. No one would let him use his Italian because their own English was so much better. (He was keenly disappointed.)

I second CindyDavid's suggestion to get a guide for specific sites. That is what I meant when I said we used a tour. Tom and I were in Rome on our own, but used a couple of quick half day tours with a guide to get to places we could not reach on our own.

On the other hand I have gone on real tours that pleased me very much though. A few years ago we went hiking in Peru with a company called Imagine Tours (they usually do bicycle tours). More recently we went hiking all over the South Island of New Zealand with a company called Active New Zealand. Both were excellent experiences greatly enhanced by the groups we were with and the guides who led the groups.

Rosefolly

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carolyn, As far as I can tell, the Scavi tour is a specific tour of the archaeological site underneath St. Peter's. It includes Roman ruins and the very possible burial site of St. Peter himself. The tour is very hard to get. They only take a tiny number--I read 120--people a day and getting a ticket is extremely complicated. But it's supposed to be a terrific experience.

And, Rosefolly, I too have been on good tours--just can't find one for Rome. I do think we will do as you suggest and get a guide here and there for specific sites. But I am a "slow tourist". I read every label and am always behind the group--or lose track of them altogether.

I am reading up a storm. There is so much to see in Rome. It will be very hard to make the final decisions about what to exclude.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

I thought of another (out-of-print) book, and that is North from Rome by Helen MacInnes. She wrote terrific spy, wicked Nazi, love interest, mysteries.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

> Almost everyone in Rome who interacts with tourists speaks reasonable English.

Wellllll - that wasn't our experience. I spent 6 months working on a basic vocabulary. If a bus driver or ticket agent didn't know English, I tried my halting Italian and they looked at me like I had three heads. we encountered way too many folks working with tourists who either didn't know the language, or pretended not to. Rather frustrating really.

This was not the case outside of Rome, where often people were very eager to practice and use their english and were very patient with beginners in their language.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

> Almost everyone in Rome who interacts with tourists speaks reasonable English.

I've since heard that from others, too, so your experience is not unique. Perhaps ours was!

Rosefolly

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bumping this up for further helpful input about books or anything else related to visiting Rome. It is a city of so many historical and artistic layers that it seems a whole library could be built around them. Rosefolly, I would love to know who your tour guide was for Ostia Antica etc.

• grelobe
    17 years ago

Rome Rome Rome Naples Naples Florence Venice Rome Florence Venice Naples Rome Rome
    Rome Rome Rome Rome Rome Rome Naples Florence Venice Venice Rome Rome Rome

Stopt it!

There are not only these four cities in Italy!!!!!!!!!!!

WeÂre starting to call them 'the supermarket of the tourism'
    the tourist malls!!!!

Just kidding of course

IÂm Italian and I like and love them all.

IÂve never been to Naples and IÂve been to Venice only twice, last time I was eight, more or less.
    IÂve always deemed Rome the most beautiful city in the world. More than Paris and London (Veer ,
    Martin and othesr, please forgive me)
    Rome has only one big difect, in my opinion; there are really a great deal of romans linving over there
    :)

but now just let me take advantage of this thread to promote my city : Genoa.

I know , I know , I know, itÂs less famous than the former ones and is rather rough to go trought it,
    besides we are not so cheerful as Romans and Tuscanies are (we are wild and undomesticated, not
    even ancient Romans succeded to tame us) here in Italy we are called 'grumbling'
    But Genoa is the 'Resorgimental city' Giuseppe Mazzini was born here , as well as Nino Bixio
    ...others. Garibaldi was born not so far from here, 'I Mille - The One Hundreds - the Red Jackets'
    sailed from here to land in Sicily and make Italy a whole, a true nation after so long time.

Genoa is little, yes, but cozy, you donÂt have to ...walk walk walk and walk, take buses ,
    undergrounds , spinning here and there back and forth all the day long to see wonderful buildings,
    museums , eat delicious food and , of course, drink unbelieveble wine, and at the end of the day, may
    be, you would find that we are not so 'no-cherful!'and so wild and undomesticated and even in our
    chest thereÂs a heart bumping

Sorry I think IÂve not been very useful for your quest, but at the moment I canÂt remember any
    books or movies set in Rome, nor set in Genoa

grelobe

p.s. I wonder. Since itÂs been a long time I havenÂt been posting here, has my English got worse?

all my best to whom still remember of me and to who not.

Here is a link that might be useful: the best way to discover Genoa

• mariannese
    17 years ago

Cindy, I think the Roman church with several layers may have been the Basilica di San Clemente.

Grelobe, the only Italian cities I have visited are Genova, Napoli and Milano. 15 years ago a friend and I were planning to go to Rome and took Italian evening classes for over a year when my friend told me one evening that she was pregnant with her first child, (at 43, after having been married for 19 years, divorced and found a new man) so she couldn't go with me. I remembered a little of that Italian in Milan and Stresa last year.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Martin, thats it. There are a few others outside Rome as well.

Grelobe, there is a very good reason why Rome Florence Venice Naples is first on most travelers list - the art work, the architecture are splendid examples of perfection, and the age of the place is haunting. I have visited all of those cities, and loved them (tho I have to admit the one I'd return to is Venice). You will be happy to know, however, that the next time I am in Italy, I will be visiting other places less well known. And Genoa, well, the Shakespeare reference always made me interested in going, so that will probably be on the list.

• veer
    17 years ago

grelobe, your English is fine don't worry about it. I don't know your country but as you probably have noticed besides the hoards of US tourists it has become very popular with the English who like to take villas in Tuscany and Umbria for the summer. Our Prime Minister is a good eg. especially if he is able to borrow one from an aristocrat or a pop star.
    You were going to tell us about your walking trip in the Alps. Now that is the sort of holiday that would suite me rather than time spent in hot tourist-filled cities.

• grelobe
    17 years ago

You were going to tell us about your walking trip in the Alps. Now that is the sort of holiday that
    would suite me rather than time spent in hot tourist-filled cities

my stars ! what a memory youÂve got veer; I was about to tell you about my walking trip last August,
    five months ago.

Anyway everything was fine, weather and place. We went to Valle dÂAosta at the feet of Mount
    Cervino , the third highest peak in Italy and Europe that also is the board between Italy and
    Switzerland. Besides my daughter and my friendÂs sons are getting older, not that old of course. Nine,
    seven and six, so we can make longer hike without being harassed every fifteen minutes (water, food,
    tiredness), and theyÂre starting to be quite curious about trees , land and...stones. Once we met a
    geologist student who was taking same samples and testing them with, I donÂt know what kind of
    acid, aftermath they started to play pretending to be geologist and wetting rocks and stones with
    dripping sticks all day long.
    We came back over there a few weeks ago, itÂs not far-away from Genoa , two hours and an half
    drive, and we went to a little village Cheney that can be reached only by feet, no more than ten
    minuts through a wood, and my wife and I are thinking to buy snowshoes in order to hike also in
    winter, we saw a lot of people wearing them and we got quite envious.

grelobe

a mount Cervino picture
    http://it.geocities.com/hotelbich/immagini/cervino1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: cheney

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There may be many tourists to deal with--but Roma! The eternal city! Full of history, of empires risen and fallen, the greatest art in the world, pasta, passion! No wonder it draws people from every corner of the world. The crowd is worth it.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

Great photo, grelobe. Thanks for sharing.

• granjan
    17 years ago

Back to books! I can not recommend That Fine Italian Handstrongly enough for ANYONE going to Italy. Hofman is/was an American married to an Italian and they lived in Italy. The book explains so much about the contradictions of Italy. It is wonderful.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My trip draws closer--early April--and I am cross-eyed from reading, thanks to so many of you here and elsewhere. I just finished two "light" reads that I'd think many would enjoy.

One is a mystery by Ngaio Marsh, "When in Rome". It is set in Rome and is riveting as a mystery as well as for its Roman setting, much of which is at the church of San Clemente with its many layers of secret spaces.

The other is Jonathan Harr's "The Lost Painting", the non-fiction account of the search for a missing Caravaggio. He integrates the dramatic life of Caravaggio with the contemporary search by art sleuths for one of his long-missing masterpieces.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Funny, I just received a book from a friend who knows how much I like Barbara Hodson (Tatooed Map and other illustrated novels. This book is "Italy out of hand: a capricious tour" The book is filled with oddities and interesting historical tidbits, as well as glorious photos and other media. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italy out of hand

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Angels and Demons, the prequel to DaVinci Code is set in Rome. Well, Rome and the Vatican. Lots of geographic and architectural details among the mysteries and violence. And it is violent. And sometimes hard to believe. But the geographic and architectural details are interesting.

• grelobe
    17 years ago

sorry ccrdmrbks but I must dissent from your post.
    In Angel and Demons , I read There are tons of roads, squares and so on misplaced , the characters turn one corner and suddenly they find themselves in a completeley different part of Rome. Let aside historical date or monument buildders or artist work of art.
    They say Angel and Demons is even worse than The Da Vinci Code where Dan Brown misplaced historical facts dates and so on to support his thesis
    It can be that his plot are riveting and his books are , turn-pages, but don't say that geographic and architectural details are interesting, because ten times out of ten they are either wrong or made up

grelobe

p.s. I'm not catholic.
    I add this, because here in Italy there has been a very long and (in my opinion) silly dispute.
    Catholic vs etars-priest, Bishops and priest wanted "litteraly" burn the book, the latters would say tinghs like..."oh it's time someone has the dare to say the truth about ...."and so on.
    But I think when a book is bad detailed , it is merely bad detailed, and it's a matter of fact that Dan Brown books are not accurate , and that's is not a matter of opinion

• mariannese
    17 years ago

I dropped Angels and Demons after the first few pages, after the ridiculous description of the CERN headquarters in Geneva. It was completely made up. It is obvious that Brown has never visited the place. I have, and lost interest in the book.

• veer
    17 years ago

I only managed 2 pages of Angels and Demons which I had planned to read while waiting for a library copy of The Da Vinci Code which had been recommended here at RP.
    Those pages should have told me how dreadful the DVC was going to be. I only turned the pages hoping that the next one was going to be less terrible than the last.

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

grelobe, thanks for your candid opinion re Brown's work, which I read with suspended judgement.

Ah, Italia, one of my favorite countries. I am probably the only person here who did not like Rome. However, I adored Venice, all of Tuscany, Ravenna, Assisi, Pisa,Bologna, and Ischia. Not to mention skiing in the Dolomites. If you get a chance to travel to Ravenna, don't miss the mosaics in the Basilica of San Apollonaire!

For light reading, I enjoyed Tim Parks' "Italian Neighbors."

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There are a number of places on the internet that debunk Dan Brown's fantasies, page by page. The depressing thing is that so many people--not here, of course!--read these works of complete fiction and take it as fact. Twas ever thus, I guess.

• mummsie
    17 years ago

Ginny, regarding your interest in 19th century expats in Italy, have you read anything by Englishwomen, Margaret Isabella Collier (Countess Galletti di Cadilhac)?

I am trying to locate a copy of her book Our Home on the Adriatic.

Her brother was John Collier, the pre-Raphaelite painter. She and her Italian husband lived in a villa near Fermo, located slightly south of Recanati which you may remember from Jonathon Harr's book The Lost Painting .

Now back to Rome which is both exhilarating and exhausting, I love it!!

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, I haven't, Mummsie, but will keep an eye out for it. Sounds delightful. Last night I started "Roma Beata" by Maud Howe, daughter of Julia Ward Howe and part of a seemingly enormous circle of Americans resident in Europe either permanently or temporarily. They all knew each other, it seems. This one is early 20c, occasionally patronizing, but very vivid pictures of Rome and the Romans at that time. Got it thru ILL.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

I know his theories are a mishmash of cloudy thinking, warped theology and historical innacuracies...but HE MOVED BUILDINGS? What a dweb.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

His theories are actually not new - thats whats so darn frustrating. I have read similar theories by better writers, and found them interesting, certainly thought provoking. He treats them as fact, which is troublesome.

Whats funny is that even tho I think he's a terrible writer, it was a page turner for me. I think it was towards the end when things got too convuluted that I screamed 'enough'. I was surprised that it took such a hold. And very surprised how many people read this as non fiction.

• grelobe
    17 years ago

I apologizes if I have been a little rude, may be, I should have written "I have to dissent" Instead of
    " I must", but the fact is, that I know badly one language, my own (Italian) and I know a few words
    of another one (English)
    besides I forgot to say that, when I read The da Vinci Code, I, like Cindy, enjoied it , but it was clear
    to me that....ok Cindy has already said the same thing I want to say

it was a page turner for me. I think it was towards the end when things got too convuluted that I screamed 'enough'. I was surprised that it took such a hold. And very surprised how many people read this as non fiction.

Anyway I want also back Woodnynph2 advice about Tim Parks, he is a really good judge of Italian behaviour, I've only read his non fiction books, because his novels are a little too intelectual for my poor education

grelobe

p.s. of course one Brown's book...is enough

Here is a link that might be useful: Tim Parks non fiction books and other

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

Like Cindy, I have seen Brown's theories elsewhere, and understood they were a combination of myth, legend, longing and disparate facts forced together to fit an artifical framework. That being said, I don't mind the occasional summer thriller in which "our hero" defies all odds and survives battles when he singlehandedly holds off 5 men with machine guns by wielding a six-shooter from behind a rock....I just suspend disbelief and hold on for the ride. But to set it in a real place and then rearrange the place to suit the plot...nononono. That annoys me.

• mummsie
    17 years ago

"A particular interest would be memoirs of Americans or British people who lived in Rome"

Ginny, have you put the Protestant Cemetery in Rome on your itinerary?

Thanks for mentioning ILL re Margaret Collier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rome's Protestant Cemetery

• veer
    16 years ago

Just brought this up for anyone interested in Naples or who has maybe visited there for a holiday. I have read some good reviews about Roberto Saviano's book Gomorrah that has recently been translated into English.
    It deals with the underworld activities of the Camorra the N equivalent of the Mafia. It is scary to think part of every £$ of tourist money probably goes towards supporting this organisation and goes some way to explain the corruption that exists in the area on a scale we can hardly comprehend.
    I understand Saviano has had to go into hiding since writing this book.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gomorrah