SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thyrkas

nook from B&N

thyrkas
14 years ago

A couple of years ago we had a discussion about the Kindle e-reader from Amazon. A few days ago B&N launched their version of an e-reader called "nook".

I have never handled a Kindle, although I have seen them from close range, and have stared at them with great admiration and longing. Amazon, having no bricks and mortar locations, has never made the Kindle available for a hands on type of experience. B&N will have the 'nook' in their stores (at least in the US) on Nov 30th.

I know the conflict that arises when those of us who love Gutenberg products face the onslaught of the e-book generation. Could handling a 'nook' make a difference in your opinion regarding the new wave of e-readers?

Comments (33)

• ccrdmrbks
    14 years ago

I am certainly going to go and "play" with the Nook when it is available. I do love the physical attributes of books-covers, feel of the paper, presence in my hands, etc. However, aging wrists and what I suspect is creeping arthritis mean that to read anything substantial requires sitting at a table or complicated pillow constructions. An e-reader would solve that problem.
    Now if they would just come up with a reliable, reasonably structured e-book library. I'd rather rent many books for perhaps a month for under $3.00 each, than buy them, even for $10.00.

• veer
    14 years ago

We don't have B&N over here in the UK, so I'm not likely to see one of these gizmos and wonder that they may be shooting themselves in the foot by introducing this devise. I don't fully understand how they work, but once you have purchased this machine how do you download the 'books' you want to read? Would B&N (or any other book seller) still be involved in making money from your nook?

• Related Discussions

difference b/n 'limelight' and 'lollie jackson'?

Q

Comments (3)
    Actually, Limelight is the compact one (4-5 feet), and has medium cobalt blue flowers (a little more to the purple than guaranitica, but about the same saturation) and chartreuse calyxes. Tula (from Yucca-Do) is the giant form with similar colored flowers and calyxes. Lollie Jackson, introduced mainly through Yucca-Do, has longer and denser spikes of midnight purple calyxes and flowers and can get 6-7 feet tall, about one foot taller than the closely related La Placita and Puerto de la Zorra forms (both my introductions). These last two have similar foliage and colored flowers. Ocampo (from Yucca-Do) is the giant form with similar colored flowers and calyxes. There is a really giant form from Oaxaca with dark flowers and calyxes which I got from Saso's Herb Garden in Saratoga, CA a very long time ago which I lost some time ago.
    ...See More

Bang B-a-n-g Shrimp

Q

Comments (8)
    All this talk of Bang Bang Shrimp made me want some, so I made it last night using this sauce recipe which is IMO more authentic because it has some heat and a kick to it. Bang Bang Shrimp Sauce (from somewhere on the Web) 1/2 cup mayonnaise 3 TB sweet Asian chili sauce 1 TB Sriracha hot sauce 2 t. rice vinegar I think Bonefish puts their shrimp on a bed of lettuce, but I had cabbage on hand and had seen some recipes that called for cabbage. I finely cut the cabbage and piled it on my plate - it was very good with those spicey shrimp!
    ...See More

Please Help with Breakfast Nook Furniture (X-Post from Kitchen)

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks everyone! Mellyc123--Here's a photo (sorry it's so blurry) of the family room from when we first moved in. We've added some accessories and lighting, but the sectional, rug and credenza are the same. You can see it's much more masculine and darker wood and colors than the kitchen.
    ...See More

Can I mix metals from island lighting to breakfast nook?

Q

Comments (2)
    First no ceiling fan in a kitchen ever IMO. As for the other lighting I think if there is some connesction either with the glass or the downrod color you will be fine. I sure hope those pendants are not Edison bulbs as the yellow cast from those bulbs will ruin the color choices you have made. All lighting in a kitchen should be LED 4000K and in this case also in the nook .
    ...See More
  • thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think this is a step in B&N's attempt at anticipating the shift from the paper to the digital world in books. The projected sales of e-book readers is growing every year. B&N is making special info about books, authors and offers/savings available only to those who purchase a nook. Also, you can read an entire e-book, rather than only a portion of it, without purchasing it - as long as you read it while physically sitting in their store. That gets you into their store to buy other things, which is how they make their money anyway.
    I have read that many other companies are working at getting their e-book readers out as soon as possible, too, although I can't give you any names - can't remember them!

Guess I am a born and bred Gutenberger rather than a Googlee or I would have tried to include this link to the nook in the original post. You can read all about the nook at your leisure, if you so desire.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

• sheriz6
    14 years ago

It's a bit sleeker than the Kindle, but I still don't like the ebook readers. I find them devoid of the tactile and visual and even olfactory pleasures I associate with books. That said, I am certainly computer-saavy and I do a great deal of reading online, but I just don't want my books that way, no matter how convenient, portable and space-saving the device might be. I'm definitely a paper and ink person.

• martin_z
    14 years ago

Well, I have a Sony Reader and I know others here have Kindles. They are a pleasure to read with - particularly if the alternative is a very large book!

I'm in love with the Nook, though - it looks like a very nice piece of kit. However, as it's only available in the US, then I won't get too interested.

(I wonder, however, if B&N are aware of what a Nook e-book sounds like to us in the UK...)

• georgia_peach
    14 years ago

I haven't invested in an eReader yet, but am considering...

The Sony site has a nice comparison chart for the Sony eReader vs Amazon Kindle, and I think the Nook will be similar to the Sony device. I still prefer physical books, but an eReader would be nice for reading while traveling (not that I do much of that, but my husband does) or to replace reading on the PC with something much easier on the eyes. I would use one for public domain text (such as anything you'd find on Gutenberg.org).

I think we're going to see more competition pop up in the next few years and prices should fall as the market becomes more competitive (so I've been biding my time). I read that Hearst is working on an eReader for magazines. I do think eReaders would be nice for magazine subscriptions. I stopped subscribing to magazines after I had kids and feel like I'm constantly battling the paper pile-up at home between mail and school paperwork the kids bring home. I would re-subscribe to some of my favorite magazines if I could read them on an eReader, but I'm waiting for someone to give Amazon Kindle some competition before I invest.

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aren't magazines already available on Kindle and other e-readers?

• georgia_peach
    14 years ago

I looked at what was available for the Kindle DX, and most of it seems to be major city newspapers and only 30 or so magazines--most of which are geared toward business -- and they're still fooling around with how to make the content look good since most magazines are much more heavy on graphics than books are. Plus, the price of the device is still just too high.

None of the magazines I used to subscribe to offer anything but a print version (as far as I know). I'd love to see magazines step into the 21st century and offer content for eReaders or the PC. I know many offer free content on their websites and RSS feeds, but it's not quite the same as having full access to their articles on your eReader or PC. You'll never persuade me to read on a PDA or cell phone. Not gonna happen!

• Kath
    14 years ago

Quote from Martin : (I wonder, however, if B&N are aware of what a Nook e-book sounds like to us in the UK...)

Hahahaha! We have a special section for those books at work!

I would like an ebook reader for times like travelling, but the cost is prohibitive for me at the moment. We sell one at work but it is about $400.

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

astrokath - The price on nook is less than $300, so I imagine Kindle will have to lower their price, also.
    What do you consider a 'good price' for a fully-loaded e-reader?

• Kath
    14 years ago

thyrkas, I have unlimited access to 'real' books at work (we are able to borrow them if we treat them very nicely) so it's one of those things that would be nice to have but low on the priority list. I would think about $200 would be tempting, but I have no idea if the price would ever drop that low. OTOH, consider the price of big screen TVs which are now only a fraction of what they were a few years ago.

• martin_z
    14 years ago

I think they'll be less than a hundred bucks in two or three years.

More interestingly, particularly to the magazine market or the business document market, I think that colour won't be far away

• Kath
    14 years ago

At that price Martin, I would definitely have one.

• J C
    14 years ago

I was surprised at the name myself, as it also has that connotation here in the U.S, although not as strongly as in the U.K. And it isn't a sophisticated name, no matter how you look at it. I can't imagine it appealing to younger buyers.

I would, however, love to have one, but purchasing anything of the sort is out of the question right now. And as long as I have access to a truly wonderful interlibrary loan system, and only walk a few steps from my car into work (where I often can read), an ereader is very low on the list.

I wonder, however, if my brother would like one for Christmas. He loves both books and electronic devices - he is an avid purchaser of first editions and a software engineer. Now that is something to look into - he deserves something nice in his stocking this year.

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How do you think the 'nook' came to be named? Is it a shortened form of 'new book'? Or, a shortened form of 'internet book'?

Is it because the digital world is such a break from the Gutenberg world that the names given to digitally-related items are rather odd? EG: I recently subscribed to Disqus, a service for blog comments. What is the reason to spell 'discuss' as Disqus? Other than marketing (money is not involved on my part!), is this the branding phenomenon? Should I begin to relate oddly named and spelled entities as belonging to the digital world? Do these words grab the attention of techno-geeks?

I am not complaining, just curious.

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

I figured the name came from phrases like book nook or reading nook. It has a cozy sound in that connection--maybe in Martin's, too.

• veer
    14 years ago

Carolyn, in English English 'nookie/nooky' would best be performed in a quiet corner (and well away from readers) as it generally means a bit of slap and tickle . . . and whatever that might lead to. All electronic devices should be switched off.

• georgia_peach
    14 years ago

Carolyn, that's what I thought too. Names always seem to have multiple connotations. I don't know that you can ever dodge that issue. Since B&N is an American store, I think it's reasonable for them not to be too concerned about the British connotation of that word.

• carolyn_ky
    14 years ago

Vee, I did know the English meaning. Quiet corners, indeed, and cozy ones; but I hadn't considered the need to switch off electronic devices!

• J C
    14 years ago

These days I don't think anyone bothers switching off the electronic devices! ;)

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Went to B&N today, having completely forgotten about this thread, and saw the kiosk that will be used to acquaint potential buyers with the e-reader. I didn't have much time, but noticed that they are keeping the kiosk quite close to the center of the store where the information booth is, and where a lot of employees are stationed. It occurred to me that security may have to be pretty tight to prevent folks from sliding the little e-reader into their bags and disappearing into the crowd.

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PS - Should mention the e-reader won't be in the store until the end of Nov, but the kiosks are already in place.

• martin_z
    14 years ago

"It occurred to me that security may have to be pretty tight to prevent folks from sliding the little e-reader into their bags and disappearing into the crowd."

They solved the problem in the Waterstone's shops here in England (when they brought out the Sony Reader) by simply fixing them securely down! So you can play with them, but you can't pick them up.

• georgia_peach
    14 years ago

Did you see where the Nook is already sold out for the Holidays?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nook Sold Out for Holidays

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This excerpt is from the article that georgia peach so thoughtfully shared with us:
    An Amazon spokesman, Drew Herdener, e-mailed this comment in a response to a question about Kindle availability. Referring to the Nook, he wrote, "Kindle is 40 percent thinner, 10 percent lighter, with 2 times the battery life. ItÂs the best-selling, the most wished-for, and the most gifted product on Amazon across all product categories  not just electronics. Kindle manufacturing is humming, and the latest generation Kindle  just released in October  is in stock and available for immediate shipment today."
    Really? Have RHers seen Christmas lists with a Kindle or nook or Sony e-reader at the top? I have one grandson who wants one, and I would love to have one, but neither of us have put it on our wish lists.

• frances_md
    14 years ago

The article may be referring to the Amazon wish lists.

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good point, frances md. That is probably right. But the article says that Kindle is 'the most gifted product on Amazon across all product categories - not just electronics'. I don't know anyone who owns a Kindle now, but maybe after this Christmas that will be different.

• martin_z
    14 years ago

On a separate note - am I the only person who hates the use of the word "gift" as a verb?

"...the most gifted product on Amazon...." makes it sound like it's talented.

• thyrkas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Went Christmas shopping today. Passed by B&N, remembered (!) that this was the weekend nook was to make its appearance in Barnes and Noble stores. Fought for a parking spot and jogged into the store only to read a large sign on the front entry saying, "Nook will not be available in Barnes and Noble until Dec 7th in order to fill orders for customers." What? I entered the store and found a sales person - "Sorry, apparently the manufacturers rec'd more orders than they could fill, so all the floor models were sent out to customers." Grinding of teeth - heavy sigh.
    What did I learn? 1. Once again, as with the Kindle, the hype about the product is more available than the product itself. 2. Hands-on presentations of e-readers are not necessary for customers to shell out cold, hard plastic for them.

• mylab123
    14 years ago

Although I'm disparing at the idea that I won't have the tactile feel and smells of a book, I have run out of shelf space and will be forced to join the e-book crowd.

I'm going to look at the nook this weekend, they aren't available for buying because they can't keep them in stock to put on the shelves, but if I like it I will get my name on the list. From what I've been able to read, the nook is superior to the kindle by those who have used both and there are things about the nook that more appeals to me than does the kindle.

I have a feeling that in a couple of years, there will be very heavy competition for e-books and the prices will have dramatically reduced while the e-books product will have dramatically improved.

I also have a feeling that the price of the reading material will get very competitive also and maybe be available to use any electronic device you own - all in the future.

At that time I'll give mine to my husband and will get me the new and improved product ;)

It's going to be very hard to make the transition - I will always keep my favorites in hardback but for the read and never read again, I'm going electronic.

• georgia_peach
    14 years ago

I'd be surprised if your local B&N has a floor model Nook to examine. Mine does not. They have brochures and a big sign at the customer service desk. That's it. But you can find floor models of the Sony Reader over at Best Buy. I'm still debating what I want to do. I've run out of shelf space too.

• wolf_seeker
    14 years ago

I work at my local Barnes and Noble. The last we were told is that Nook samples will be out on Monday, the 7th. We got our 'samples' in on Friday, so I expect all other stores did, also. No store is supposed to display them before Monday...they want them to all 'roll out' at the same time. Just an FYI, so that you're not disappointed if you don't find them in-store this weekend.

• vtchewbecca
    14 years ago

So did anyone actually receive a Nook for Christmas that they could use? I'm strongly considering using my Christmas money to get one - they are already on back order until February, but I'm not really in a rush. I've more than run out of shelf space.

For those wondering about the name and the "younger" crowd - I'm part of the younger crowd and I love the name. It brings to mind getting cozy in a comfortable spot (the "nook") and reading. When we looked at houses, or even watch shows about houses, I always look for reading nooks.