SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martin_z

The Sea, by John Banville - Discussion

martin_z
13 years ago

Hi all

As promised (well, OK, a day late) this is the official discussion thread for The Sea by John Banville.

This book won the Booker Prize in 2005, narrowly edging out Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I read both books at the time, and I thought that this book was beautifully written, but a bit too self-consciously literary.

But recently, I found a cheap copy in a charity shop and decided to give it another go. I then realized that this was a book which hugely rewarded re-reading. So here we are!

As always, in these discussions, SPOILERS ABOUND. So don't read any further if you have not read the book, and you don't want to find out important plot points before John Banville wanted you to know them!

I'd like to throw out a few statements or questions for you to consider. But don't feel limited by these.

1) One reviewer said They are like hits of some delicious drug, these sentences..

2) Anyone else see any parallels with The Turn of the Screw? Or any other literary parallels?

3) On the book itself - the ending, and what happened to Chloe and Myles. Why? Did that seem a bit contrived?

4) The revelation of who Mrs Vavasour was - again, contrived? or inevitable?

Or anything else that interests you.

Comments (19)