SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickitg

2006 Quill Book Awards

vickitg
17 years ago

I saw in the paper today that voting has begun on the Quill Book Awards - a consumer-voted award. I've read a couple of the nominated books, but not many. There are a few others I plan to read.

I posted the site, if you want to vote - or if you just want to see what it's all about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quill Book Awards

Comments (6)

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

Looks to me like they come from the best seller list with little regard to quality. Sure there are a couple of respected writers on the list, but far more trivial. I love Janet Evanovich, but to include her as one of the 4 or 5 best mysteries and thrillers is just wrong.

What did you think of the list, Sarah Canary?

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

I looked at the list, too, and particularly couldn't believe that Raymond Khoury was nominated for Debut Author of the Year for The Last Templar. I read the first few chapters of it and simply couldn't bear to continue. Horrid. I also saw Labyrinth in there somewhere, which was quite a surprise, but I was pleased to see The Stolen Child nominated. And I agree with you, Chris. As much as I enjoy Janet Evanovich, she is not in the same league with authors like Michael Connelly or James Lee Burke, who was not even nominated. *shakes head in disbelief*

One question, though: I notice that Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky is listed in the best General Fiction category. It's received some fantastic critical reviews, but I don't know of anyone who has read it yet. Has anyone read it? And what did you think?

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

The only one I would agree with is Black Swan Green. Mysteries are my favorite, and I shudder to think of the ones that were nominated. This whole thing makes me believe in the "dumbing down" theory. No doubt, some of these books are entertaining; but best? Not in my book.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

If I had more energy for it right now, I'd check to see who the publishers are of the nominated books and check for a corporate relationship to MSNBC. /cynicism

• vickitg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry I took so long to get back to this. I have mixed emotions about the QBA. I think it's nice when real folks get to vote on something instead of being told by the publishers/studios/committees what's the "best." But I also believe, however, that real folks don't always make the best critics. Last year's big winner was the latest "Harry Potter" book. I love the HP books, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have voted that one best book of 2005.

Anyway, it's always fun to look at the lists/awards and see what people are reading.

• granjan
    17 years ago

I don't think much of the list but I LOVED Julie and Julia. Powell is such a fresh voice in food writing and I enjoyed the book a lot. But I certainly agree about the mysteries.