SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phaedosia

Assaying Essays

phaedosia
15 years ago

I've been finding myself reading essay collections at bedtime lately. They seem to be the right length before I start to nod off. So far I've read:

The Disappointment Artist by Jonathan Lethem (Enjoyable thoughts on the nature of art, but Lethem sometimes comes off as an egocentric elitist)

How to Be Alone by Jonathan Franzen (Picked it up because of the awesome title and really enjoyed the variety of pieces, even though I hated The Corrections)

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley (Hilarious! Reminded me of a younger, not quite as dark, David Sedaris. Especially enjoyed her essay on the horrors of being a bridesmaid.)

Currently reading The Literary Insomniac: Stories and Essays for Sleepless Nights edited by Elyse Cheney (So far the best quote is from Tim Cahill's short story, "Dreams": "What I was looking for was unattainable," the narrator relates. "I wanted to sleep. I wanted to get into bed, turn off the light, and go to sleep. I don't sleep. I can't sleep, I've never been able to sleep. It started, I think," he says, "as soon as I learned to read for pleasure."

Does anyone else enjoy essays and short stories? If so, who do you recommend?

Comments (6)

• deborah47
    15 years ago

I don't know why but I never choose short stories and yet when I do chance to read them I enjoy them. I shall try it again, especially as I too have sleep trouble and maybe it is because "I learned to read for pleasure".

• dido1
    15 years ago

James Thurber's (American, 20th century) essays and stories are hilarious.

William Hazlitt (English, 18th-19th century) is reckoned to be one of the best essayists ever. Amongst the many subjects he writes on, his reminiscences of the English Lake poets are fascinating.

There are/were so many excellent short story writers it's hard to make a short list, but here are a few names, English, American, Welsh, Irish - all of whom write very differently:

Scott Fitzgerald, James Joyce, Stan Barstow, Edgar Allan Poe, Daphne du Maurier, Dylan Thomas.

Dido

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

My favorite books of essays are by Anne Fadiman, Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader (which I cannot recommend highly enough - all the essays are about books and they're fabulous) and her newest book, At Large and At Small: Familiar Essays.

I've also enjoyed Richardson Little Wright's Gardener's Bed Book which is arranged with a very short essay for each day of the year followed by one or two lines of gardening advice.

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

I also read "I was Told There'd be Cake" by Sloan Crossley which was mostly very funny. I really like the story of the plastic pony collection myself.

Essays can be very entertaining when you're not sure what you want to read as they can have a bit of everything inside them.

• deborah47
    15 years ago

I just remembered Maya Angelou's stories are good reading also. She is one author that I hear her voice as I am reading her stories.

• disputantum
    15 years ago

I always enjoy Joseph Epstein's essays when I come across them. I don't know if they've been collected into book form though.