SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindydavid4

June reads

cindydavid4
15 years ago

I am in the middle of a wonderful book: Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos. Its starts out with a young woman answering a ad for boarders from an elderly woman who lives alone with her antiques that fill every room of her mansion. Its a story that starts out somber, and then shows people taking evil and turning it on its head. So far it may be on my list of favs for the Year (but I'm only half way through - I have the right to change my mind :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken For You

Comments (117)

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

I am really liking "Stoner" by John Williams, an author I'd not read. This work, written in 1965, about an earlier era, reminds me of a cross between Lewis' "Main Street" and McEwan's "On Chesil Beach". It's about the challenges in the life of a midwestern farmer's son turned college professor, set in the early part of the 20th century. Williams really captures the feel of the lonely,arid mid-west, IMO.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

Victorian Scotland. Specifically, Edinburgh.

• Related Discussions

logisitics of 'going topless'

Q

Comments (16)
    Being a newbie and in a warmer zone has its disadvantages. LOL But trial by error has been fun. I did what Trudi's site said. (I think!) Once I saw some green peeking through...I started venting the tops. I did wait until there were several germinated seedlings rather than just one. I vented gradually until the tops were completely removed. We did have a couple nights where the temps got down to 35-38 and I threw towels over the pots but they've been topless for about a month now. Our night time lows are in the upper 40's-50's. Days in the 60's-70's. The only thing I've messed up on was not planning for all this rain we've had. I have a couple of shower curtains that I think I'm going to swap out and use as a rain protector rather than trying to put tops back on 100+ containers or move them. LOL We've had heavy rain for several days and everything is just swamped. Some of my planted seedlings (in my problem bed) don't look so hot. But I've got replacements growing now. LOL Even with the rain, all the others are just peachy. I keep telling myself that by July, I'll be praying for rain. LOL
    ...See More

Greetings and Merry Christmas

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi June, it's always nice to have another person at the table. New thoughts, new ideas, 'ya know? I think I've turned into sugar so, what the heck! I'll have one, thank you. If you feel comfortable, tell us about your life in Canada.
    ...See More

June Reading

Q

Comments (128)
    I finished Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates over my "girls escape to the mountains" weekend. I enjoyed it very much - very creative, interesting twists, and the historical tie-ins were well done, I thought. During this "escape" weekend, my friends and I hiked through some snow/slush, down to spring wildflowers, then re-entered summer by heading further "down the hill" a ways, into the little goldrush town of Murphys - where, to our delight, we found a "used and new" bookstore! It was even air-conditioned - critical, since it was 103F. All 3 of us picked up various biographies - all of our DDs need to read bios for "summer reading" before high school starts. I found several good buys, including some early editions of some favorite childhood books, which, of course, I had to sit down and read immediately upon our return. I also picked up a Jonathan Stroud (of the Bartimeus trilogy ) called Buried Fire. It concerns an ancient dragon sleeping, and then waking deep below a hillside next to a small English town, and the effects on some local boys. I'm sure glad I read this after we had our Mid-summer fest! I have quite a TBR list and stack, but a friend just loaned me Dan Simmons Olympus, sequel to Ilium. So of course, I have to re-read the latter to read the former. Not that I mind - it's great the second time around, too! take care, litlbit
    ...See More

Spring being a tough act to follow, God created June, Al Bernstein

Q

Comments (78)
    Carolyn, I have read a lot of Frank's work and I think she is slipping a bit. Somewhat reminiscent of A.R. Siddon's novels, which get quite repetitive in their vocabulary and plots. (e.g. I think she used "spavined" as an adjective in every book she ever wrote!). I have just finished Ian Caldwell's "The Fifth Gospel." The author claims it took him 10 years to write. In a sense, it is a "tour de force" in terms of scholarship re early Christian church history. The plot has many twists and turns. It is also a study of the separation of the Eastern Orthodox patriarchy from the Western Catholics and the papacy. The novel puts a very human face on the late Polish Pope as well as the Vatican as a small nation unto itself. (Caldwell's previous novel was "The Rule of Four.").
    ...See More
  • pam53
    15 years ago

rosefolly-go ahead and skip the second book by Sarah Addison Allen (Garden Spells) the title slips my mind but whereas Garden was quite enchanting her second book was a major disappointment.
    Frances-did you finish E. Sawtelle yet? I read the review in the Washington Post and was quite interested.
    I've been reading a lot but nothing to write about-I need a novel to reach out and grab me right now!

• norar_il
    15 years ago

I have a friend who read E. Sawtelle and said it was the saddest book she'd ever read. Not for me!

I've just finished "The Senator's Wife" by Sue Miller -- good. "Song Without Words" by Ann Packer -- better. And tried to read "Swim to Me" but could not get into it. Next will be "Master and Commander". DH has seen the movie about 4 times and loved it, so I thought I'd try the book.

I've seen so many people here who loved "In This House of Brede" and it's the only Rumer Godden book I didn't like. I especially liked "Greengage Summer" and "China Court" but thought the flashbacks in Brede were more than I could handle. I guess sadness is something I try to avoid. I never liked Bambi either!

• deborah47
    15 years ago

Pam-

read the "frustrated" posts, I got a lot of good recommendations for something that might "grab" you.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was cleaning out my car this morning and found a book under the seat - turns out I bought this at the used store and it must have slipped out of the bag, unnoticed. I started reading it and haven't been able to put it down. All the Right Places is about the author's travels through Japan, China and Russia in the mid 80s. You'd think this would be dated, but its not. Excellent travel narrative. Think maybe I should clean my car more often....

Here is a link that might be useful: All the Right Places by Brad Newsham

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Pam, thanks for the warning. I picked it up at a bookstore just yesterday then put it back down as a distraction from my true errand. I was going to look for it at the library but perhaps I'll skip doing that.

Why am I so disappointed when a writer has only one truly good book? Most of us do not have even that much in us. Yet time and again I am ungrateful when a second book does not live up to the first. Shame on me. I will work on being grateful for the good book, and forgiving of the others.

My true errand was a collection of travel guides for houseguests. Rouan (along with two other siblings) is coming to visit me! I'm so thrilled. We will visit gardens and talk books. I can hardly wait.

Rosefolly

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Yesterday I finished Still Life by Louise Penny, a new-to-me mystery writer, and have now started A Fatal Grace, the second by her.

They are set in a village in Quebec with a Chief Inspector being called in to investigate murder. How many do you think there can be in one small village?

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

carolyn-that series was recommended to me as well-if you are reading the second, I'm guessing you liked the first?

I will finish the first Faro mystery, but don't know that I will read any more-her style is too flowery and convoluted: look at this sentence:
    "A daunting prospect, for he would not be welcome, but he was certain that she had the strength, needed in her calling, not to shrink from what she considered her duty, no matter how distressing the task-and even if it meant visiting the mortuary and identifying the corpse as that of Miss Burnleigh." Exhausting.

• molly109
    15 years ago

Hi guys - I am new too, and love to read your "lists".

Was sorry to hear that the latest Stephanie Plum book
    is a "snooze". She entertains me, when I am down.

Also - for the Dick Francis reader - who remarked on
    his writing career of 50 years-- his son is and has,
    been writing with him for awhile now.

Thanks for letting me "read".

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

Rosefolly, I read the new Sarah Addison Allen The Sugar Queen and liked it a lot. I'd say it's at least worth borrowing from the library. This one is not as magical as the first one, but I still thought it was good. Just my two cents :)

I'm well into an old Beverley Nichols murder mystery, The Moonflower and enjoying it. He writes his mysteries a bit like his home and garden books, with asides to the reader here and there which I find charming. I'm not much of mystery reader but I've enjoyed his books just because I can see him coming through the story.

My omnibus version of the Mrs. Gaskell novels has finally arrived and I'm looking forward to reading Mr Harrison's Confessions and My Lady Ludlow before viewing the Cranford DVD. I know some people have been looking for the three stories together - the Amazon link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cranford Chronicles

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Cece, yes, I am liking the second Penny book as well as the first. I have the third one standing by. I ordered them from the library and so got them all at once.

The cover says she quit her day job to stay home and learn to write. Still Life won the Arthur Ellis Award from the Crime Writers of Canada and the New Blood Dagger from the British Crime Writers Association as well as some recognition in the U.S.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

Nora-I think all of Rumer Godden's books have some pathos in them-have you read The Kitchen Madonna or An Episode of Sparrows? I think I find In This House of Brede to be such a strong book because of the characters' reactions to sadness and loss-overall, it is a positive and luminous book. (I do cry every time I read it-even though I know the story backwards-but that is a testament to her wordcraft.)

• georgia_peach
    15 years ago

I'm reading The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. Don't know how I managed to get this far in life without reading any Tuchman, so this is a welcome introduction to her work. I like the pacing and her writing style in this one. She has a way bringing life to the vast array of historical figures.

• dorieann
    15 years ago

Welcome Molly! The more readers posting here, the more interesting the forum will be.

I finished The Pesthouse and thought it was very good. It seemed to take a long time to read it because there was little dialogue to speed things along. Anyway, for a lighter read I am following Cindy's advice and started Terry Pratchett's Soul Music. I was very happy to see the Death of Rats again. For some reason he cracks me up. SQUEAK!

• dynomutt
    15 years ago

georgia_peach --

Congratulations on discovering Barbara Tuchman! She DOES have a way of bringing historical figures to life. I kind of envy you -- I still remember when I discovered her years ago and my joy at finding history books that were accessible. (And books that were simply a treat to read.)

She's covered topics from the Middle Ages, World War I, US involvement in Asia in World War II, and a whole host of other topics. Don't forget to check out her book March of Folly.

• blossomgirl
    15 years ago

Hi Molly-welcome-I'm new too.

Just finished "Out" by Natsuo Kirino-winner of Japan's mystery award a couple of years ago. Gory crime novel but could not put it down. Fascinating glimpse of down and out factory workers/housewives in Japan who cover up a murder.

I checked out from the library "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs, "The Plague of Doves" by Louise Erdrich and "Milk" by Darcey Steinke.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

March of Folly is excellent and should be read by any leader thinking about leading a country to war. Guns of August started me on a long run of WWI books. She also has one about the 14th century in Europe called Distant Mirror.

Now reading Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurty. I don't care for his westerns, but this memoir of pioneer and ranch life is really a gem.

Dorie, enjoy!

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

Finished "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff about a father dealing with his son's meth addiction (non-fiction). The author did a great job describing what it's like to be a parent of a meth-addicted young son and the different stages you have to go through just to survive and live your life while they live theirs.

Now reading "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" which is a nice change and gentle reading. I do like this series.

Next, I have to read some literary journals to see if they are possible matches for my short stories. Trying to get published is tough unless you know someone.

• deborah47
    15 years ago

I just started the Widow's War based on many positive recommendations from here and friends. Then as soon as The Book Thief arrives I will start that.

• blossomgirl
    15 years ago

lemonhead-They just had a piece in the L.A. Times about "Beautiful Boy". Paramount Pictures on behalf of Plan B Entertainment (Brad Pitt's Production Company) options "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff and "Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines" by his son, Nic Sheff about the family's strugle with the boy's addiction. The 2 books are being made into one movie. I just ordered "Beautiful Boy" from the library.

deborah47-I hope you will love "The Book Thief" as much as I did.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

I just finished The Hunt for Sonya Duffrette by R. T. Raichev. I liked this first mystery-the narrator is consistent and a bit self-deprecating-the writer, a man, writes a very convincing female viewpoint-but there is a dearth of "my feelings" and "my emotional responses" that I welcomed. Too much of self-analysis or navel-gazing in a first person narrator and out the window the book goes.
    The reader is lead up the garden path several times, but as we are right behind our heroine, who is just as confused, it is less like author trickery and more because the reader is seeing only the clues as she does, and having only her interpretation-an honest way to tell a story if done consistently. I will certainly search out the other two books in this series.

• jlsch
    15 years ago

I started Skeletons at the Feast yesterday. I am enjoying the character development and can tell it will be a haunting book. Has anyone else read this yet?

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now reading The Unravelling by Eliz Graver which I am liking so far. Lovely language, but not so out there that it slows the reading.

Finished Kurt Vonneguts last book; I thought his letters to his parents when he was a POW were incredible. But the stories were really grim and depressing. Yeah, thats Vonnegut, but usually theres a little glimmer of hope in his books.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Unravelling

• bookmom41
    15 years ago

I whipped right through a Gayle Tsukiyama book, Dreaming Water. I usually enjoy her books and this was no exception. A short book, it explores the relationships between a mother, her daughter with Werner's syndrome which causes premature rapid aging, and the daughter's childhood best friend home to visit with her own tween daughters in tow. It started out slowly, managed to tap into my own emotions (easy to do, I admit) and was quite good despite the lack of action.

Isn't someone here a booster of Motherless Brooklyn? I just started it and am being drawn into it, despite the Tourette's bit. I have family members with it, and some of the other "co-morbid" disorders, and can find it a topic which hits too close to home.

• pam53
    15 years ago

wigardener-I liked Skeletons very much and am a fan of Bohjalian in general.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

carolyn-picked up Still Life at the library today. Looking forward to it.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Cece, I hope you enjoy the Penny books. I have read all three of them back to back and feel as if I've moved to Three Pines and the characters are my new best friends. Plus, they are constantly eating and drinking cafe au lait, which really makes me want to be there!

I got an e-mail from the library today saying that Cranford is in for me to pick up. That should be a contrast.

• dorieann
    15 years ago

Bookmom, I was one who loved Motherless Brooklyn. The mystery was certainly secondary to the character development of Lionel Essrog. However, I've never known or even met (to my knowledge) anyone with Tourette syndrome, so I wasn't bothered by the portrayal. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

• frances_md
    15 years ago

I've been out of town for the past nine days with my iPhone providing my only Internet access so I couldn't easily post messages.

I did finish The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and agree with norar_il's friend that it was sad, almost excessively sad in places, the kind of book that I usually avoid like the plague. It was so well written and I couldn't stop reading even when I saw where it was going but I can't really recommend it because even after a week I'm still thinking about how sad it was. I can't even bring myself to read anything other than gardening books and magazines right now. It really is an excellent book, though.

• veronicae
    15 years ago

wigardener and pam - I just finished Sketletons. Now I can't seem to settle into any other book - it was that good. It was a good read that kept my attention - until the end - when it grabbed me completely. I couldn't put it down for the last third.

Bohjalian is one of my top authors. Maybe I'll go back to one of the 2 of his books that I couldn't get into, and see if they appeal now. I also noticed a couple of earlier ones I hadn't heard of before.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

carolyn-I loved it. Stayed up so late reading that I had to go back this morning and reread-know how when you are almost asleep you THINK you are reading but you don't take it in? And then stayed in bed this morning (I love summer) to finish it, sacrificing my trip to the gym. Oh well.
    I have the second one-but do I leap right in, or do I space them out, since there are only three of them? Gobble, or savor?

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

carolyn, do let us know what you think of "Cranford." (I've not yet opened up my copy).

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

>The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

I have heard this book being raved about on another site, so I am so tempted to try it; its not the type of book that I'd normally pick up. Well, maybe I'll just take a peek....

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Cece, life's short; eat dessert first.

I will post on Cranford.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

No, can't-grad work calls and I need to be reading a book that I can put down without having it cut from my hands! So I decided to read Anne Edwards' novel Wallis. It's good, but not all-embracing. When I have this week's assignments completed (I'm a third of the way finished) I will drop back in on Three Pines.

• vickitg
    15 years ago

Bookmom - I, too, am a Motherless Brooklyn fan. In fact, Lionel is one of my favorite fictional characters. This book even stood up to a second reading, which many books don't for me. To me, this book was funny and touching at the same time. It also made me hungry. :)

Hope you enjoy it.

I have two books I'm currently reading: Bad Monkeys -- I LOVE the title. I had this on hold at the library, but my sister came into town and had a new copy, which she passed on to me.

The other book is called Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart, which has an intriguing premise.

• georgia_peach
    15 years ago

Sarah, I liked Perfect Circle. I think I could relate to the underachiever syndrome a little too much!

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

For a respected biographer, Anne Edwards is playing fast and loose with some historical aspects of this story-which makes me a little nuts-but we'll soldier on and finish.
    On a side note, I got the book through bookmooch and it is pretty smoky-pipe, I think-so I can only stand to read it at any length if I am outside. It just stopped raining, so I may go back out and read some more!

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Well, it isn't July yet.... Just finished my first Carol Goodman novel: "The Sonnet Lover." I found it a real page turner, and I learned some details about Renaissance Florence I did not know. I consider this a well-researched historical mystery/adventure tale: Female college professor goes to a Tuscan villa where Shakespeare may have met and trysted with his Dark Lady, a Renaissance poet. Along the way, there are a couple of murders and one attempted killing, all to do with who will inherit the Villa. The plot is complicated, but the author managed to tie up all the loose ends so well, IMHO, that I will look for Goodman's other books. Has anyone else here read her work?

• jlsch
    15 years ago

veronicae, I just finished Skeletons at the Feast last night. Wonderful book - I too really enjoyed it. I had liked, but not loved Midwives so wasn't sure what to expect. I'll have to look at some of his other books. wig

• veer
    15 years ago

Just finished Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Walters. An interesting look at life in the musical halls of Victorian London and the growth of the budding Labour Party, but possibly not to everyone's taste as our heroine and her little friends are all lesbians. All the sexual goings on where somewhat overdone and by the end I felt everyone needed cooling down with a bucket of cold water.

Now on to The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing. A story set in colonial Southern Rhodesia, a system of which Lessing disapproved, but judging by the terrible suffering in modern-day Zimbabwe it makes that regime seem quite benign.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

Finished Wallis and ended up feeling very disgruntled-artistic license is all very well in fiction-but in historic fiction, it needs to be reined in. Create the words to a conversation that was private-yes. Imagine the details of a meal, a wardrobe, a party-okay. But in this book, too many well-documented events were tweaked or jiggled or just flat out rearranged to let me enjoy the story as a story-I have to stop reading historic fiction when it is a period of history I know. Too too annoying. Edwards should know better.

• veer
    15 years ago

cece have you read The Darkness of Wallis Simpson by Rose Tremain?
    I haven't been able to get a copy from the library yet, but it is the title piece from one of a collection of her short stories.
    RT is an excellent writer and BTW has just won The Orange Prize for her The Road Home.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am eagerly awaiting a copy of Road Home when it comes out here in August!

I have Tipping the Velvet and haven't gotten to it yet. I loved Fingersmith; the twists and turns were a rollercoaster ride. Didn't care for the latest one.

Now reading Patriot Hearts by Barbara Hambly and already frustrated. She has the characters speak in that fake Puritan dialect 'doth hath thee' stuff. Not only do I doubt they were talking like that by 1814, but I hate it when authors put dialect in books. Its not necessary to me. Some authors can pull it off like Mark Twain, and the dialect in stories like The Brer Rabbit is essential to the tale. But otherswise it just gets in the way of my reading. Urg.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

Vee-no, I haven't-although I know the premise. Her lawyer is/was a creepy obsessive, wasn't/isn't she?.

• bookmom41
    15 years ago

Sarah and Doriann, I finished Motherless Brooklyn. It falls into the category of "A good book which I did not greatly enjoy." I always think of this style as hard-boiled, sort of a 40's detective genre. The book was well-written and interesting and I would recommend it--and I will. I still think the Tourette's part made it more difficult for me, heartbreakingly so.

As far as never knowing someone with Tourette's... well, maybe you have. Lionel's symptoms were extreme and quite rare, fortunately for most Tourette's folks. Too, while the age of onset is usually in the pre-teen years, the syndrome can go into remission or become mild as one gets older. Sorry for if this is sounding like a public service announcement but I sometimes can't resist, especially as whenever this is portrayed on the (stupid) television, it is always in the extreme.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is Tourette's?

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

This weekend I finished my Beverley Nichols mystery, The Moonflower. It was entertaining and clever, very dated, and very much him, but was not anything I'd recommend to a "real" mystery reader.

I also finished the first part of my Mrs. Gaskell omnibus, Mr Harrison's Confessions, which was absolutely delightful. I can't wait to see it brought to life on the DVD. I'm now about half way through My Lady Ludlow.

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

Still disgruntled about Wallis, so am rereading Wallis and Edward, Letters 1931-1937 when I'm not working on my course work. Kids are right-homework just interferes with life.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Sheriz6, I have finished Cranford but have not yet got any of her other books. I just loved this one and plan to look for the others through Inter-Library Loan--just as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Maybe we can start a thread on Mrs. Gaskill in a few weeks.