SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

The Country of the Pointed Firs

J C
14 years ago

I read The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett several years ago and was completely enchanted by the vanished world she had captured in her stories and the characters she brought to life so vividly. Soon after, I visited Maine for the first time, and have returned each year for a short holiday. I began to formulate a plan to live in Maine, near the beautiful rugged coast. Jobs are scarce in this beautiful state  perhaps that is why it remains so beautiful. Small businesses rule, and being in the right place at the right time isnÂt easy.

About a year ago I received an email advertising a job in a small hospital (I am a healthcare worker). For various reasons the job did not materialize, but I remained hopeful. They had told me they might have an opening in the spring. Just as I was thinking of picking up the phone, it rang on its own. A job had materialized, did I want it? I didnÂt need to interview again. Oh, and they had a couple of homes available for rent at a very reasonable price.

I have been going through my books, culling my collection in preparation for my move. The Country of the Pointed Firs will be going with me. I have always been influenced by my reading, but never have I undertaken such a life-changing move because of a book.

Comments (26)